Moon Girl #6 (1949)
Red 5 Comics
|First appearance||Moon Girl and the Prince #1 (Fall 1947)|
|Created by||Max Gaines
|Alter ego||Clare Lune|
Moon Girl (Clare Lune) is a fictional character published by EC Comics. Created by Max Gaines, Gardner Fox and Sheldon Moldoff. Moon Girl is a character from the Golden Age of Comic Books and has since slipped into the public domain.
The original EC Moon Girl title went through a number of name changes (and a final genre change) as explained by Mark James Estren in his A History of Underground Comics:
A trend toward crime and adventure comics was developing, and E.C. was in the forefront - staying in the field of love comics and Western stories as well. But the special E.C. style was emerging fast as the forties waned. It was a style that never took itself completely seriously; when an adventure comic did not make it after three titles were tried (Moon Girl and the Prince, then simply Moon Girl, then Moon Girl Fights Crime), the book was changed to a love comic with completely different settings and characters, but with an oddly familiar title: A Moon, a Girl... Romance. (Moon Girl #5, by the way, had a story with a title that looked forward to the great horror comics of a few years later: "The Corpse with Will Power.")
Moon Girl and the Prince lasted a single issue, and ran as Moon Girl for issues #2-6. It became Moon Girl Fights Crime! for two issues, before concluding its run as A Moon, a Girl...Romance with issues #9-12. Moon Girl appears only in the story "I Was a Heart Pirate" in issue #9 and in no subsequent issue. The series continued as Weird Fantasy beginning with issue #13.
The Moon Girl story is one of two credited with starting the trend in horror comics at EC.
In 2010, Moon Girl was rebooted as a comiXology title by Tony Trov, Johnny Zito and Rahzzah. This new story was then published in printed form as a five-part comic book series by Red 5 Comics starting in May 2011.
Fictional character biography (2010 Red5 Comics)
- Moon Girl at Don Markstein's Toonopedia
- Mark James, Estren (1993). A History of Underground Comics. Ronin Publishing. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-914171-64-5. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- Moon Girl at the Grand Comics Database
- Thomas, Roy (Spring 2000). "A Moon... A Bat... A Hawk: A Candid Conversation With Sheldon Moldoff". Alter Ego 3 (4). Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- Parkin, JK (January 19, 2010). ""Moon Girl" Exclusive to comiXology". ComicBookResources.com. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- "Moon Girl Debuts At Comixology" (Press release). Comic Book Resources. January 28, 2010. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- Official website
- Moon Girl at the Comic Book DB
- Moon Girl at the International Catalogue of Superheroes
- Moon Girl at Comic Vine