|Industry||Web hosting service|
|Headquarters||London, England, UK|
|Key people||Wendy Tan White, Co-Founder and CEO
Joe White, Co-Founder and COO/CFO
Eirik Pettersen, Co-Founder and CTO
|Subsidiaries||SiteMaker Software Limited|
Moonfruit was launched in January 2000 during the dot-com bubble, and was supported entirely by advertisements. When the bubble burst, it became a subscription-based service. Later, the company was bought out by its London-based staff. The service is now in its sixth version, including a French language version, with further languages to follow. In April 2011, over 3.5 million websites had been built using Moonfruit’s point-and-click interface and drag-and-drop templates. By the end of 2011 over 4.4 million were created with another 1.2 million in 2012, bringing the total to 5.66 million websites by the end of 2012. They also teamed up with Gandi as Moonfruit's domain provider. In return Gandi uses the SiteMaker software as an option to its customers.
Turnover reached $1.9m in 2009, before shooting up to nearly $4m in 2010, with its SiteMaker subsidiary making a loss of £1.26m in 2011. Moonfruit is advertising both free and subscription-based accounts as of October 2011.
In 2013 Moonfruit's Flash based platform was adapted to render sites in the HTML 5 format to enable website presentation on tablets and Apple based devices . The HTML 5 rendering engine continues to be improved with new features and improvements including e-commerce, blog page and social platform integration. Moonfruit user created websites that are facilitated by the new build of Moonfruit can be viewed at the non-affiliated Moonfruit Directory .
In June 2009 Moonfruit began a promotional campaign using the viral power of Twitter's trending topics. In celebration of their 10th birthday, they offered Twitter users the chance to win an Apple MacBook Pro just by tweeting their tag; "#moonfruit". One MacBook would be given away each day for 10 days to a random tweeter who had used the tag. This campaign was successful enough to keep the #moonfruit tag at the top of the trending topics for an entire week and garnered some media attention.
- "Will the moon bear fruit?". The Guardian (London). 2000-01-20. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Digest". 9 August 2001. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Rebecca (March 8, 2011). "Q&A: Wendy Tan-White, Moonfruit". Smarta Enterprises Ltd. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Moonfruit Launches French Version Of Flash Site Building Toolkit".[dead link]
- The Startups Team (Apr 4, 2011). "Moonfruit: Wendy Tan White". startups.co.uk. TECH START-UPS. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Moonfruit Retrospective 2012". Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Growing Business Success Stories – Moonfruit: Wendy Tan White. Growingbusiness.co.uk. Retrieved on 2011-10-27.
- "Yell acquires Moonfruit – 16 May 2012". Yell Group. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Yell acquires Moonfruit". 16 May 2012.
- "HTML 5 Roll-out Plan". 20 December 2012.
- "The Moonfruit Directory". 18 November 2014.
- "Twitter Promotion Done Right: #moonfruit". Archived from the original on 2009-07-02.
- "Why is #moonfruit trending on Twitter? It’s the rebirth of a startup".
- "Moonfruit Finds Instant ROI with Twitter Campaign".