London, England, United Kingdom
Moonpig.com is a business based in Guernsey and London which sells personalised greeting cards. The website was launched in July 2000, and in 2007 the company was responsible for 90 percent of the online greeting card market in the United Kingdom, with nearly six million cards shipped.
According to founder Nick Jenkins, 'Moonpig' was his nickname at school, hence the name of the brand.
Customers who visit the website can choose from a large selection of basic card designs and enter their own text to personalise them. In addition to cards, the company offers customisable spoof magazine covers and invitations, where customers can upload their own photos for printing.
The original launch of Moonpig.com in 2000 coincided with the collapse of the dot-com bubble which meant progress was difficult at first, but Jenkins raised further investment from private investors and venture capital, and the advent of broadband and digital cameras together with news spreading by word-of-mouth meant sales steadily increased, with the first profits being made in 2005. A television advertising campaign began in the United Kingdom in November 2006, and in February 2008 Moonpig.com received more internet traffic than other flower and gift companies in the UK. By Summer 2009, the company had 2.57 million customers and its profit record was seen by The Times as "a typical curve for a successful start-up — a big, £1 million loss establishing it in its first year, negligible losses edging into negligible earnings over the next six years, and thereafter a seven-figure profit".
The company was initially based in Chelsea, but moved to Guernsey in 2006, maintaining a small office in London to deal with marketing and IT software. Guernsey has a VAT exemption on UK-bound goods costing less than £18. The business expanded into the Australian market in 2004, and in late 2009, the business expanded its offering to include a range of flowers and custom mug designs. In spring 2010, Moonpig launched in the United States.
- "''University of Birmingham alumni'': Birmingham alumnus pushes the envelope". Alumni.bham.ac.uk. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- Growing Business Success Stories - Moonpig: Nick Jenkins
- Marketing, 5 October 2005, 00:00am (2005-10-05). "''Marketing'', 5 Oct 2005: One to watch: Moonpig". Marketingmagazine.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- "''Real Business'', 1 Nov 2005: Nick Jenkins". Clairemurphy.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- "''Hitwise'' - United Kingdom Newsletter - February, 2008". Hitwise.com. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- Moonpig has the rhyme and reason with greetings via the internet, The Times, Martin Waller, 7 Sep 2009
- By Bruce MacDougall (2006-11-17). "''This is Guernsey'', 17 Nov 2006: Guernsey move had a Sark link". Thisisguernsey.com. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- "Photobox announces merger with Moonpig.com". BBC News. 2011-07-25.