Moran's Oyster Cottage
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (June 2014)|
|Moran's Oyster Cottage|
|Food type||Irish seafood|
|Street address||The Weir|
|City||Kilcolgan, Co. Galway|
|Website||Moran's Oyster Cottage|
It has hosted presidents, prime ministers and film stars, as well as tourists and locals, due to the quality of its seafood, particularly oysters and smoked salmon, combined with its tranquil setting by the weir.
History and location
Daniel Moran, who arrived in the area in the 1760s, obtained a liquor licence and began his business which has continued for six generations. His wife's family, who owned the Weir, may have been serving food and drink even prior to that.
In the 1800s, when Kilcolgan was a busy port, the cottage did a thriving business. In modern times, it has hosted many notables and celebrities, including Julia Roberts, Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore, Woody Allen and the Emperor and Empress of Japan.
- Bord Failte Award of Excellence for Restaurants, 1983
- Award of Excellence–BIM Seafood Pub of the Year, 1999
- Gilbeys Gold Medal for Excellence, 2001
- BIM Seafood Circle Award, 2006
- Daugherty, Christi Frommer's Ireland 2008, p. 402, Frommer's, 2007
- Vincent, Muriel Ierland, p. 279, Media Boeken, 2005
- Moran's Oyster Cottage Website, History (archived at the Internet Archive)
- Healy, Tim; Hilliard, Mark (4 December 2012). "AIB pursues ex-owners of Moran’s on the Weir for €19m". Independent. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- Abbott, Kate 10 Oysters and Shellfish, The Guardian, July 14, 2007