Moran State Park
|Moran State Park|
|Washington State Park|
Mountain Lake in Moran State Park
|Elevation||932 ft (284 m) |
|Area||5,579 acres (2,258 ha)|
|Management||Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission|
|Website: Moran State Park|
Moran State Park is a Washington state park located on Orcas Island encompassing over 5,000 acres (2,000 ha) of forest, much of it old growth. It is the largest public recreation area in the San Juan Islands. Mount Constitution (elevation 2,409 feet (734 m)) is a focal point of the park. A road and hiking trails lead to the top of the mountain and a 360-degree view of the region's mountain and marine geography. An observation tower, built in the 1930s, is patterned after the 12th-century Caucasian towers.
|Location||S of East Sound on Orcas Island, Orcas Island, Washington|
|Area||30 acres (12 ha)|
|Architectural style||Bungalow/craftsman, Other, Arts and Crafts|
|NRHP Reference #||78002772|
|Added to NRHP||November 2, 1978|
The land for Moran State Park was donated to the state in 1921 by Seattle mayor and shipbuilder Robert Moran. Due to poor health, Moran moved to Orcas Island and between 1906 and 1909 built his estate, naming it Rosario. Wood and stone material found on the island were used to construct the estate's houses and buildings. The former Moran estate is privately operated as Rosario Resort and Spa and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Rosario mansion features a museum honoring Robert Moran, complete with original furnishings. The mansion's music room is home to a 1913 34-rank Aeolian pipe organ and 1900 Steinway grand piano, both of which are still played for visitors today. The Civilian Conservation Corps built many of the park's trails, roads, bridges, and buildings during the 1930s.
Activities and amenities
The park offers hiking on 38 miles of hiking trails, biking on 11 miles of trails, horseback riding on 6 miles of trails, boating, and camping.
- "Moran State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Moran State Park". Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- National Geographic's guide to the state parks of the United States
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Rosario Resort and Spa". Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Moran State Park Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
- Moran State Park Map Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission