Morgan City Hall
Location in Calhoun County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||1.3 sq mi (3.4 km2)|
|• Land||1.3 sq mi (3.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||246 ft (75 m)|
|• Density||1,421/sq mi (548.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||31766, 39866|
|GNIS feature ID||0318451|
Morgan was founded in 1854 as seat of the newly formed Calhoun County. It was incorporated as a city in 1856.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,464 people, 108 households, and 69 families residing in the city. The population density was 1.113 people per square mile (428.2/km²). There were 128 housing units at an average density of 97.3 per square mile (37.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 33.13% White, 66.53% African American, and 0.34% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.13% of the population.
There were 108 households out of which 25.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.6% were married couples living together, 16.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.2% were non-families. 33.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.76.
In the city the population was spread out with 3.4% under the age of 18, 17.6% from 18 to 24, 58.4% from 25 to 44, 16.9% from 45 to 64, and 3.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 992.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 1,246.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,000, and the median income for a family was $32,500. Males had a median income of $26,974 versus $16,667 for females. The per capita income for the city was $6,414 (the lowest in the state). About 19.6% of families and 25.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.0% of those under age 18 and 23.3% of those age 65 or over.
Morgan is the location of a state prison, and the above figures include the prison population. There are approximately 1,200 males residing at the institution.
Calhoun County School District
The Calhoun County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, and consists of one elementary school and a middle-high school. The district has 46 full-time teachers and over 719 students.
- Calhoun County Elementary School
- Calhoun Middle-High School
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Morgan city, Georgia (revision of 03-26-2012)". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 240. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 2, 2010.