Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
|Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP|
|Headquarters||1701 Market Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|No. of offices||29|
|No. of attorneys||2000|
|No. of employees||1700|
|Major practice areas||General Practice, Corporate Law|
|Key people||Jami Wintz McKeon, Firm Chair|
|Revenue||US $1.291 billion (2013)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP is a global law firm.
Morgan Lewis was founded in Philadelphia on March 10, 1873 by Charles Eldridge Morgan, Jr., a Civil War veteran, and Francis Draper Lewis, the son of a successful cotton merchant. In 1883, Morgan & Lewis hired Morris Rex Bockius, who dominated the firm from the turn of the century until his death in 1939. He became a partner fifteen years after he joined the firm, which became Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.
In 1882, the firm began to handle work for the United Gas Improvement Company, which became the largest gas and electric utility company in the United States, and (as UGI) is still a client today. That was the beginning of a boom: By the end of the 19th century and into the 20th, Morgan Lewis counseled many leading companies including Philadelphia’s largest newspaper, Pennsylvania’s largest railroad, a major paper manufacturer, banks and trust companies, and the largest manufacturer of steam locomotives in the world.
In every representation, Morgan Lewis attorneys are committed to knowing and fully understanding each client’s specific business, industry environment, and legal concerns, with a focus on both immediate and long-term goals. Its regulatory and industry-focused practices such as Antitrust, Energy, Life Sciences, and Securities help clients throughout the world to craft and execute strategies to address legal, government, and policy challenges in today’s rapidly changing economic and regulatory environment.
Morgan Lewis's international team of attorneys, patent agents, employee benefits advisors, regulatory scientists, and other specialists—more than 1,600 legal professionals total—serves clients from locations in Almaty, Astana, Beijing, Boston, Brussels, Chicago, Dallas, Dubai, Frankfurt, Harrisburg, Hartford, Houston, Irvine, London, Los Angeles, Miami, Moscow, New York, Palo Alto, Paris, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Princeton, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Singapore, Tokyo, Washington, D.C., and Wilmington.
Stamford Law announcement
On March 15, 2015, Morgan Lewis and Singapore’s Stamford Law Corporation announced a combination that created a fully integrated law firm in Singapore. The combination established a business transactions, litigation, and arbitration practice to serve clients with interests in Singapore and across the expanding Asian marketplace. 
Bingham McCutchen LLP announcement
On November 14, 2014, Morgan Lewis's partnership voted to admit 227 partners from Bingham McCutchen LLP as partners in Morgan Lewis. With the addition of these partners, Morgan Lewis will be one of the largest firms in the world, and will offer clients global access to broad capabilities across a comprehensive spectrum of services and industries addressing virtually every aspect of corporate operations.
- Ranked #4 in BTI Consulting's Ranking for Client Service
- 174 lawyers have been listed in the 2014 Chambers publications including 52 lawyers in Chambers Global, 147 in Chambers USA, 14 in Chambers Europe, nine in Chambers UK, three in Chambers Latin America, and two in Chambers Asia.
- Ranked #9 in The American Lawyer's 2013 Summer Associates Survey
- Two partners recipients of the 2004, 2005, and 2006 California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) award
- Three partners received a 2012 California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) award
- Two partners received a 2014 California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) award
- Nine lawyers named fellows of the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel, 12 lawyers named fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and 26 named fellows of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Ranked as one of the "Most Prestigious Firms" — 2014 Vault Guide to the Top 100 Law Firms
- Ranked among top three in Mid-Atlantic — 2014 Vault Guide to the Top 100 Law Firms
- Morgan Lewis and client RBC Capital Markets named 2012 Association of Corporate Counsel Value Champions
Industry knowledge and practice achievements
- “Law Firm of the Year” for energy law by U.S. News and World Report in its 2015 Best Law Firms Survey
- Labor & Employment Law Practice named The American Lawyer Magazine's Litigation Department of the Year - Labor and Employment Law Finalist 2004, Winner 2006, Finalist 2008, 2010 and 2012
- Ranked highest in the Philadelphia region in Corporate Board Member survey of America's best corporate lawyers
- Named a top 5 firm for employment in BTI's Litigation Outlook 2015 report
- One of three firms to be named to the class actions and torts 'powerhouse' in BTI's Litigation Outlook 2015 report
- Ranked 4th in the BTI Client Service A-Team 2014, with placement among the top 30 firms in the elite "The BTI Client Service 30" for the 13th consecutive year
- Named to BTI's Client Service Hall of Fame in 2011 and was the first law firm in BTI’s 13-year history to place 10 lawyers on the BTI Client Services All-Stars list in a single year in 2014
- Ranked as one of the top law firms in Corporate Counsel magazine's 2014 listing of "Who Represents America's Biggest Companies?"
- Top 10 firm: The BTI Brand Elite: Client Perceptions of the Best-Branded Law Firms (2014)
- "Client's Choice": Top 12 out of 379 firms that are most recommended, generally, and among the top 20 firms at the top of hiring short lists
- "Premium Bet-The-Company Big Timers": Top 8 of 184 firms that clients seek to handle their highest-priority issues and most complex work, including crisis situations.
- "Innovation Movers & Shakers": Top 6 of 170 firms that use alternative staffing models, share near real-time budget and billing data with clients, and help companies redefine work processes.
As of March 30, 2015, Morgan Lewis has 29 offices in the following countries:
United States of America, China, Belgium, France, Germany, Japan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.
Sale of web domain to Major League Baseball
- "The Am Law 100: Firms Ranked by Gross Revenue" http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=1202651156795. Retrieved on 2014-11-17.
- "The Story of Our Firm" http://www.morganlewis.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/content.page/nodeID/c462397e-55b1-4469-a33f-d87738b547dd/
- "Some 1,400 Lawyers on Your Side" http://www.morganlewis.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/content.page/nodeID/22984d05-bf9a-47ee-9070-57db566e3974/
- "Law firm Morgan Lewis opens Singapore office through Stamford deal" http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/15/us-morganlewis-m-a-singapore-idUSKBN0MB12L20150315
- "Morgan Lewis to Combine with Stamford Law in Singapore to Establish Major Asian Hub" http://morganlewis.com/news/morgan-lewis-to-combine-with-stamford-law-in-singapore-to-establish-major-asian-hubnews#sthash.9QqOHfUl.dpuf/
- "Morgan Lewis Partnership Votes to Admit 227 Partners From Bingham McCutchen" https://finance.yahoo.com/news/morgan-lewis-partnership-votes-admit-192000438.html
- "Morgan Lewis Welcomes More Than 750 Lawyers, Legal Professionals and Staff from Bingham McCutchen" http://www.morganlewis.com/news/PR_MLwelcomesNewLawyers_24nov2014?source=homeImg
- "Done Deal: Most of Bingham McCutchen Now Officially Part of Morgan Lewis" http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2014/11/24/done-deal-most-of-bingham-mccutchen-now-officially-part-of-morgan-lewis/
- "Who's Saying What About Morgan Lewis" http://www.morganlewis.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/content.page/nodeID/70428252-4d1d-4529-a335-5c92a735fd3a/
- "Morgan Lewis Pitches Web Address To Major League Baseball" http://www.morganlewis.com/pubs/A78B64B1-9A01-4FB2-B4F5CE4D7A7132B1_Publication.pdf