|Birth name||Morgan Aland Grunerud|
|Born||November 24, 1981
|Occupations||Singer, Actress, songwriter|
Early life and education
Born Morgan Aland Grunerud, in Boise, Idaho, James is the daughter of Allen Grunerud and Shellie Harwood. Growing up, James' family moved from Pocatello, ID, to Logan, UT, to Knoxville, TN, and finally to Modesto, CA, where James graduated from Johansen High School in 1999. Upon graduation, James was accepted to The Juilliard School at age 18, in New York City, where she received her BM in Voice.
James made her Broadway debut in The Addams Family, starring Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth, in 2010. She also performed in Godspell at Circle in the Square, and in Motown at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre.
James started voice lessons and singing in choirs when she was 13, then performed as a solo artist. In 2012, she signed with Epic Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. James' debut album, Morgan James Live, a celebration of Nina Simone, was released December 4, 2012.
In 2012 James publicly criticized a preview of Into the Woods at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park, an action which drew media attention and criticism from her colleagues, and for which she subsequently apologized. In 2014 she released the studio album Hunter. The album is produced by Doug Wamble and is her first with all-original material.
- Carucci, John (6 December 2012). "Morgan James Shows Old Soul On Nina Simone Tribute". Associated Press (Yahoo Music). Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Holden, Stephen (9 June 2013). "Emoting And Belting, From Holiday To Prince". New York Times. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Kenner, Lisa Millegan. "Johansen High grad enjoying kooky, spooky role in Broadway show". ModBee. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "MORGAN JAMES". MMusicMag. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Hodges, Bruce. "James and Dinnerstein Release New Song CDs". Juilliard. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- The Broadway League. "Morgan James | IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information". IBDB. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- Broadway actress Morgan James channels Nina Simone in tribute, The Daytona Beach News Journal, December 16, 2012
- Broadway actor Morgan James apologises for 'trashing' musical on Twitter, The Guardian, 26 July, 2012
- Morgan James On 'Into The Woods': 'Godspell' Actress Ignites Firestorm After Trashing Shakespeare In The Park Production, Huffington Post, July 26, 2012
- ‘Into’ is lost in the woods, New York Post, July 28, 2012
- 'Godspell' actress breaks Twitter taboo, feels the wrath, Los Angeles Times, July 26, 2012