Morgan performing with M83.
|Born||May 3, 1984|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Instruments||Piano, keyboard, vocals|
|Associated acts||The Romanovs, M83,
Morgan Grace Kibby (b. May 3, 1984) is an American singer-songwriter based in Los Angeles, California. She has had various musical projects throughout the years including fronting the LA based indie band The Romanovs, collaborating and touring with the French electronic/ambient group M83, to her most current solo project titled White Sea. Morgan's voice can also been heard on various movie trailers such as M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. She has also released solo, personalised covers such as Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair" and, more recently, INXS's "Don’t Change."
In 2003, Morgan released an EP entitled Beggar's Alchemy. She had worked on this album mainly as a solo artist providing the vocals, cello and piano on her own. Soon after the release Morgan started performing with a range of musicians which eventually formed the initial line-up of the band. Dan Rosa and Paul Wiancko performed with Morgan on a majority of their live shows including the release party for Beggar's Alchemy.
In 2005, the band released the LP ...And the Moon Was Hungry... Featured on their first LP were 7 previous songs from Beggar's Alchemy with the addition of two new studio recordings ("Kiss is in the Chemicals" and "China Shop") and two live recordings ("I Shot the Monster" and "Sonnet"). Paul provided the cello for the new studio tracks and Wesley Precourt and Elizabeth Hooper provided the violin. Dan and Randy Cooke played drums and piano for the two live tracks. For a short time the group were just known as "Morgan" and soon after evolved into "Morgan and the Hidden Hands". After the release of their LP many live performances started to commence. The band was seen at venues such as the Lava Lounge, The Dragonfly, The Troubador, The Empire Ballroom, The Key Club and The Mint with the addition of Wes on violin and Randy on the drums.
In 2007, the band started to re-mix and re-master their former LP ...And the Moon Was Hungry.... New percussion, cello, violin, piano and vocals were added to former tracks as well as two new studio recordings titled "Fever Pitch" and "Mr. Okada". This was the first release with the band operating under their new decided name: The Romanovs. Shortly before the new release Ana Lenchantin became their new cellist.
The Romanovs have been and will remain on an extended hiatus.
Morgan provided keys and arrangements for M83 on their fifth full-length release, Saturdays = Youth, and co-wrote the songs "Kim & Jessie", "Up!", "Too Late" and "Skin of the Night". She also shared production credits for the album. Subsequently, she completed a tour with the band throughout Australia, Europe and the United States during 2008. She continued to tour with M83 in 2009 as they opened for The Kings of Leon in the U.K., The Killers on their U.S. arena concert tour and for some dates of Depeche Mode Tour of the Universe. In 2011 Morgan contributed to M83's sixth full-length album Hurry Up, We're Dreaming; providing vocals, keyboards, and arrangements. She co-wrote the songs Intro, Midnight City and Reunion.
Morgan has embarked on a solo project since touring with M83, called White Sea. Her first track, a remix of Solid Gold's "Synchronize", first appeared on her MySpace. A second track titled "Overdrawn" was released to her MySpace in March, revealing a new musical direction for Kibby. On September 30, a new track, "Mountaineer", became available for free download on the RCRD LBL website. A new EP, This Frontier, was released on October 5, 2010. Since the release of This Frontier, Kibby has focused on remixing tracks for other artists including School of Seven Bells, Seven Saturdays, Lord Huron, Junip, The Naked and Famous, Britney Spears, The Japanese Popstars feat. James Vincent McMorrow, Active Child, Manchester Orchestra, Kevin Devine and The Serenades. "In Cold Blood", Kibby's first full length album was released in May of 2014 via Crush Music and Songs Publishing.
- Those for Whom It's Always Complicated (2013)
- Hope to Die (2004)
- State of Grace 1 Episode (2002)
- Boston Public 4 Episodes (2001, 2002)
- 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd 20 Episodes (1999–2001)
- Judging Amy 1 Episode (2002)
- 7th Heaven 1 Episode (1998)
- Secret Paths in the Forest (1997)
- ...And the Moon Was Hungry... (2007) as The Romanov
- Saturdays = Youth (2008) as M83
- Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (2011) as M83
- In Cold Blood (2014) as White Sea
- Beggar’s Alchemy (2003)
- ...And the Moon Was Hungry... (2004/2005) as The Romanov
- This Frontier (2010) as White Sea
- "Don't Change" (2008) INXS cover
- "Graveyard Girl" (2008) as M83
- "Kim & Jessie" (2008) as M83
- "We Own the Sky" (2008) as M83
- "Skin Of The Night" (2008) as M83
- "Midnight City" (2011) as M83
- "They Don't Know" (2013) as White Sea
- Synchronize (Solid Gold) (2010)
- Dust Devil (School of Seven Bells) (2010)
- The Shallow End (Seven Saturdays) (2011)
- When Will I See You Again (Lord Huron) (2011)
- In Every Direction (Junip) (2011)
- Young Blood (The Naked and Famous) (2011)
- 'Til The World Ends (Britney Spears) (2011)
- Shells of Silver (The Japanese Popstars) (2011)
- Hangin' On (Active Child) (2011)
- Simple Math (Manchester Orchestra) (2011)
- 11-17 (Kevin Devine) (2011)
- Oceans (The Serenades) (2011)
- Reunion (M83) (2012)
- Anything Could Happen (Ellie Goulding) (2012)
- Heart Attack (Demi Lovato) (2013)
- Harlem (New Politics) (2013)
- It's Time (Imagine Dragons) (2013)
- Last Love Song (ZZ Ward) (2014)
- Team (Lorde) (2014)
- Often (The Weeknd) (2014)
- Lady in the Water (Vocals)
- Pride and Prejudice (Vocals)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Vocals)