Schneiderlin playing for France in 2014
|Full name||Morgan Schneiderlin|
|Date of birth||8 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Obernai, France|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 January 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Morgan Schneiderlin (French pronunciation: [mɔʁgan ʃnedəʁlin], born 8 November 1989) is a French professional footballer who plays for English club Southampton and the France national team as a midfielder.
He began his career with local team RC Strasbourg before joining Southampton in June 2008. He has since become a regular in the starting lineup, and was in the teams which earned consecutive promotions to reach the Premier League.
Born in Obernai, Schneiderlin joined local club RC Strasbourg's youth ranks in 1995. After ten years moving through the youth ranks, he signed his first professional contract with the club in 2005 and debuted for the B-team later that year. In 2006, he made his professional debut with the senior side and would go on to make four more appearances for the club, before being sold following the club's relegation during the 2007–08 Ligue 1 season.
Schneiderlin moved from Strasbourg to Southampton on 27 June 2008, having signed a four-year contract in a deal that could rise to €1.5m (£1.2m). He joined Southampton despite receiving an offer from local rivals (and at the time, premier league team) Portsmouth. He made his debut in the 2–1 defeat away to Cardiff City on 9 August 2008.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for Southampton at Bristol Rovers on 13 April 2010, with the match finishing in a 5–1 victory. Schneiderlin signed a new deal with Saints on 19 August 2011, to keep him at the club until the summer of 2014. On 24 September, he came off the bench to score his second goal for the club in a 1–1 draw at Burnley. He scored a 35-yard effort in a 3–0 victory at Nottingham Forest, meaning he had scored more than one goal in a season for the first time at Southampton.
After promotion to the Premier League, he kept his place in the side, playing the full 90 minutes of the opening game at Manchester City. On 2 September 2012, he scored a goal against Manchester United, giving his side a 2–1 lead but the club eventually fell 3–2 as Robin van Persie netted a hat-trick. He followed this up with another home goal in a 1–1 draw with Swansea City on 10 November, trapping a Rickie Lambert header with his chest and then placing the ball past onrushing goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel.
On 16 January 2013, he captained Southampton in a comeback which saw them draw 2–2 with European champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. He went on to score his third Premier League goal in a 2–2 draw with Wigan Athletic on 2 February, helping Southampton fight back from a goal down.
On 25 February 2013, Schneiderlin signed a new contract extension to keep him at Southampton until the summer of 2017. At the end of the season, Schneiderlin was credited for the most tackles, interceptions and highest work rate in the Premier League, establishing himself as one of the best holding midfielders in England. He picked up both the Players' Player and Fans' Player of the Year awards at Southampton's end of season awards.
Schneiderlin scored twice in a 3–1 win at West Ham United on 30 August 2014, equalling his goal tally from the previous season's Premier League campaign. He scored his third goal of the season against Newcastle United on 13 September, curling in a late strike past goalkeeper Tim Krul, as the Saints won 4–0. On 28 December, he was sent off two minutes from the end of a 1–1 home draw against Chelsea.
Schneiderlin has represented France at under-16, under-17, under-18, whom he captained, and under-19 levels.
In March 2006, he was selected by France to play in the 2007 UEFA European Under-17 Championship elite round qualification campaign, his début came against the Czech Republic. He played in two further games.
On 25 May 2009, he was selected in the under-20 squad to participate in the 2009 Mediterranean Games. Schneiderlin featured in three of the four matches contested as France finished in fifth place. The following year, he appeared with the under-20 team at the 2010 Toulon Tournament. In the opening game of the tournament against Colombia U20, Schneiderlin scored the first goal in the 34th minute, helping his side win the game 2–0.
In July 2010, he was part of France's team that attempted to qualify for the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. He played against Malta U21s in a 2–0 victory under coach Erick Mombaerts.
In November 2013, various British media outlets reported that Schneiderlin was eligible to represent England. Under Article 8.1, Regulations Governing The Application Of The Statutes, FIFA Statutes, Schneiderlin is only eligible to represent France at international level as he has played at various age-levels in UEFA competitions prior to gaining British citizenship.
On 13 May 2014, France coach Didier Deschamps named Schneiderlin on the team's standby list for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. He was later called into the full squad following the withdrawal of the injured Franck Ribéry and Clément Grenier. On 8 June 2014 Schneiderlin made his international debut, in a friendly game against Jamaica.
His debut in the World Cup came on 25 June 2014, when he played the full 90 minutes of a 0–0 draw with Ecuador. This was his only appearance at the tournament, in which France reached the quarter-finals.
- As of match played 8 November 2014.
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
- Appearance(s) in Football League Trophy
- As of matches played 14 November 2014.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 370. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Saints tie up Schneiderlin deal". BBC Sport. 27 June 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2008.
- "Cardiff 2–1 Southampton". BBC Sport. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Bristol Rovers 1–5 Southampton". BBC Sport. 13 April 2010. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- "RVP hat-trick sinks Saints". Sky Sports. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Southampton 1–1 Swansea t". BBC Sport. 10 November 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Southampton's Lambert and Puncheon knock Chelsea out of their stride". The Guardian. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "S Wigan 2–2 Southampton". BBC Sport. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Schneiderlin Signs Until 2017". Southampton F.C. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Stats Zone Premier League Central Midfielder of the Year". fourfourtwo.com. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Morgan Does the Double!". Southampton FC. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "West Ham 1–3 Southampton". BBC Sport. 30 August 2014. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Southampton 4–0 Newcastle". BBC Sport. 13 September 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- McNulty, Phil (28 December 2014). "Southampton 1-1 Chelsea". BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Morgan Schneiderlin – UEFA competition record
- "Morgan Equals Saints Tally!". Southampton F.C. 18 May 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "France vs. Malta". uefa.com. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Southampton: Morgan Schneiderlin waits for France call". BBC Sport. 12 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Frenchman Schneiderlin on World Cup standby". Southampton Football Club. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin has been called into France's squad for the 2014 World Cup". Southampton: Daily Echo. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "France 8–0 Jamaica". ESPN. 8 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Ecuador 0 France 0". BBC Sport. 25 June 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Morgan Schneiderlin". RC Strasbourg Archive. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2008/2009". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2009/2010". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2010/2011". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "Morgan Schneiderlin". National Football Teams. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Morgan Schneiderlin.|
- Morgan Schneiderlin career profile
- Profile at Southampton F.C.'s official site
- Morgan Schneiderlin career statistics at Soccerbase