Schneiderlin playing for Southampton in 2012
|Full name||Morgan Schneiderlin|
|Date of birth||8 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Obernai, France|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13:16, 11 January 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Morgan Schneiderlin (born 8 November 1989) is a French footballer who plays for English club Southampton as a midfielder. Born in Obernai, Schneiderlin began his career with local team RC Strasbourg before joining Southampton in June 2008, where he has since become a regular in the starting lineup.
Obernai-born Schneiderlin joined local club RC Strasbourg's youth ranks in 1995. After ten years moving through the youth ranks, he signed his first professional contract with the club in 2005 and debuted for the B team later that year. In 2006, he made his professional debut with the senior side and would go on to make four more appearances for the club, before being sold following the club's relegation during the 2007–08 Ligue 1 season.
Schneiderlin moved from Strasbourg to Southampton on 27 June 2008, having signed a four-year contract in a deal that could rise to €1.5m, or £1.2m. He joined Southampton despite receiving an offer from local rivals Portsmouth, and with interest from Arsenal and Chelsea. He made his debut in the 2–1 defeat away to Cardiff City on 9 August 2008.
The Frenchman scored his first goal for Southampton at Bristol Rovers on 13 April 2010, with the match finishing in a 5–1 victory. Schneiderlin signed a new deal with Saints on 19 August 2011, to keep him at the club until the summer of 2014. On 24 September, he came off the bench to score his second goal for the club in a 1–1 draw at Burnley. He scored a 35-yard effort in a 3–0 victory at Nottingham Forest, meaning he had scored more than one goal in a season for the first time at Southampton.
After promotion to the Premier League, he kept his place in the side, playing the full 90 minutes of the opening game at Manchester City. On 2 September, he scored a goal against Manchester United, giving his side a 2–1 lead but the club eventually fell 3–2 as Robin van Persie netted a hat-trick. He followed this up with another home goal in a 1–1 draw with Swansea City on 10 November, trapping a Rickie Lambert header with his chest and then placing the ball past onrushing 'keeper Gerhard Tremmel.
On 16 January 2013, he captained Southampton in a thrilling fightback which saw them draw 2–2 with European champions Chelsea. He went on to score his third Premier League goal in a 2–2 draw with fellow strugglers Wigan on 2 February, helping Southampton fight back from a goal down.
On 25 February 2013, Schneiderlin signed a new contract extension to keep him at Southampton until the summer of 2017. At the end of the season, Schneiderlin was credited for the most tackles, interceptions and highest work rate in the premier league, establishing himself as one the best holding midfielders in the Premiership. He picked up both the player's player and fan's player of the year awards at Southampton's end of season awards.
Schneiderlin has represented France at under-16, under-17, under-18, whom he captained, and under-19 levels. On 25 May 2009, he was selected in the under-20 squad to participate in the 2009 Mediterranean Games. Schneiderlin featured in three of the four matches contested as France finished in fifth place. The following year, he appeared with the under-20 team at the 2010 Toulon Tournament. In the opening game of the tournament against Colombia U20, Schneiderlin scored the first goal in the 34th minute, helping his side win the game 2–0.
In July 2010, he was part of France's team that attempted to qualify for the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. He played against Malta U21s in a 2-0 victory under coach Erick Mombaerts.
In November 2013, various British media outlets reported that Schneiderlin was eligible to represent England. Under Article 8.1, Regulations Governing The Application Of The Statutes, FIFA Statutes, Schneiderlin is only eligible to represent France at international level as he has played at various age-levels in UEFA competitions prior to gaining British citizenship.
- As of match played 4 January 2014.
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
- Appearance(s) in Football League Trophy
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 370. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Saints tie up Schneiderlin deal". BBC Sport. 27 June 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2008.
- "Roger Johnson scored a controversial last-gasp winner for Cardiff City against Southampton in their final opening day game at Ninian Park.". BBC Sport. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Bristol Rovers 1–5 Southampton". BBC Sport. 13 April 2010. Retrieved 13 April 2010.
- "RVP hat-trick sinks Saints". Sky Sports. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Southampton squandered more points from a winning position as a defensive howler allowed Swansea to end a run of three successive away defeats.". BBC Sport. 10 November 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Southampton's Lambert and Puncheon knock Chelsea out of their stride". The Guardian. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Shaun Maloney's 90th-minute goal rescued a draw for relegation-threatened Wigan against fellow strugglers Southampton.". BBC Sport. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Schneiderlin Signs Until 2017". Southampton F.C. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Stats Zone Premier League Central Midfielder of the Year". fourfourtwo.com. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Morgan Does the Double!". Southampton F.C. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Morgan Equals Saints Tally!". Southampton F.C. 18 May 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "France vs. Malta". uefa.com. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Southampton: Morgan Schneiderlin waits for France call". BBC Sport. 12 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Morgan Schneiderlin – UEFA competition record
- "Morgan Schneiderlin". RC Strasbourg Archive. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2008/2009". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2009/2010". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2010/2011". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "Games played by Morgan Schneiderlin in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Morgan Schneiderlin.|
- Morgan Schneiderlin career profile
- Profile at Southampton F.C.'s official site
- Morgan Schneiderlin career stats at Soccerbase