Morgan Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Morgan Township, Ohio|
|• Total||24.2 sq mi (62.7 km2)|
|• Land||23.9 sq mi (61.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||814 ft (248 m)|
|• Density||91/sq mi (35.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085733|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Austinburg Township - north
- Jefferson Township - northeast corner
- Lenox Township - east
- New Lyme Township - southeast corner
- Rome Township - south
- Hartsgrove Township - southwest corner
- Trumbull Township - west
- Harpersfield Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The first white settler in Morgan Township was Nathan Gillett, who came from Connecticut in 1801.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Currently, the board is composed of chairman Virgil Martin and members Donald Dietrich and Joseph Dyrcz.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Morgan township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Ashtabula County, 2007. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.