Morgantown High School
|Morgantown High School|
|109 Wilson Avenue
Morgantown, WV 26501
|Color(s)||Red and blue|
|Website||Official school website|
Morgantown High School is a high school located in Morgantown, West Virginia. The institution has existed since 1883 while operating on its current campus since 1927. Students largely come from one of the three feeder schools, South Middle School, Suncrest Middle School and St. Francis de Sales Central Catholic. It is the home of the Mohigans, the name of a non-existent Native American tribe whose name is a combination of the words Morgantown (MO) High (HIG) Annual (AN), the school's original yearbook. The Native American mascot and logo were adopted because of the close relation to the name Mohican, an actual Native American tribe. As of 2008, it has an enrollment of 1,734 students. Among the school's student activities are over 20 varsity sports.
The Morgantown High School Red & Blue Marching Band performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in November 2009 and the 2013 Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena, California.
- Ralph Albertazzie, former Air Force One pilot
- Carey Bailey, football coach
- David Selby, actor
- Thomas W. Bennett, conscientious objector and Medal of Honor Recipient
- Terry Bowden, football coach
- Tommy Bowden, football coach
- Wes Bush, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Jay Jacobs, color analyst on MSNsportsNET.com
- Lawrence Kasdan, film producer, director, screenwriter
- Don Knotts, actor
- Elliott Portnoy, attorney and chief executive of the law firm SNR Denton
- Michael Tomasky, journalist, author, editor in chief of Democracy quarterly journal
- Charles M. Vest, former president of MIT
- "Morgantown High School - Mohigan Facts - The Mohigan". Archived from the original on 2006-10-13. Retrieved 2006-12-15.