Mormon Stories Podcast
|Mormon Stories Podcast|
|Hosted by||John Dehlin (primary host)|
Latter-day Saint history
In September 2005, after finding reasons to stay a member of the LDS Church, John Dehlin created the Mormon Stories podcast as an open discussion of Mormon issues with the intention of giving listeners reasons to remain in the church. Through interviews, Mormon Stories focused on varying Mormon experiences and perspectives, including antagonistic, apologetic, intellectual, gay, black, fundamentalist, feminist, and dissenting. Several notable Mormon figures were guests on Mormon Stories, including Gregory Prince, Todd Compton, Grant Palmer, Darius Gray, Margaret Blair Young, Richard Bushman, and Margaret and Paul Toscano. To date, listenership at times exceeds 25,000 downloads per episode. Mormon Stories has been featured in many venues, including being broadcast on KVNU in Logan, Utah. In June 2007 John Dehlin was quoted for stories by The New York Times and Good Morning America, discussing Mitt Romney and Mormonism.
At times personally conflicted about continuing Mormon Stories, Dehlin stopped and restarted the project a few times. In January 2010 Dehlin resumed the blog and podcast, focusing on faith crises, mental illnesses, and notable guests, beginning with interviews of Joanna Brooks and John Hamer. Two other regular hosts joined Dehlin in conducting interviews for the podcast: Dan Wotherspoon, former editor of Sunstone magazine; and Natasha Helfer Parker, a licensed clinical marriage and family therapist.
In 2013, a critical review of Mormon Stories by Gregory L. Smith was published in Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture. In the review, Smith alleges that "Dehlin is frequently uninformed of the often controversial material he discusses with interviewees, and that he promotes views hostile to the foundational beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". The pending publication of the piece catalyzed within the Mormon studies community a discussion (referred to by some as the Dehlin affair) about the roles of apologetic and non-faith-based scholarship, respectively, within the academic study of Mormonism by Mormons.
Featured guests of the podcast have included:
- David H. Bailey
- Elna Baker
- Philip Barlow
- Bruce W. Bastian
- Janet Bennion
- Mary Lythgoe Bradford
- Joanna Brooks
- Richard Bushman
- Claudia Bushman
- Lisa Butterworth
- Jim Dabakis
- Richard Dutcher
- Brant Gardner
- Terryl Givens
- Darius Gray
- John Hamer
- Ralph C. Hancock
- Maxine Hanks
- Kate Kelly
- Edward L. Kimball
- Hans Mattsson
- Neylan McBaine
- James McLachlan
- Linda King Newell
- Nathan Oman
- Carol Lynn Pearson
- Daniel C. Peterson
- Gregory Prince
- D. Michael Quinn
- Jana Riess
- William D. Russell
- Benji Schwimmer
- Denver Snuffer
- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
- Margaret Toscano
- Margaret Young
- Dehlin, John (September 4, 2005). "Mormon Stories Podcast # 001: Bad Baptisms? My Mission Experience in Guatemala". Mormon Stories. Retrieved 2008-07-21.
- Grover, Tom (January 3, 2008). "John Dehlin, Mormon Stories featured in today’s Herald Journal". KVNU’s For The People. Retrieved 2008-07-21.
- "Church and State: Mormonism and Romney" (video). Good Morning America. ABC News. June 19, 2007. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- Goodstein, Laurie (June 11, 2007). "Romney’s Run Has Mormons Wary of Scrutiny". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "What is/was Mormon Stories?". Mormon Stories Podcast. April 14, 2009.
- "Some Bonus Material, and a Break". Mormon Stories. December 25, 2007. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- "Mormon Stories 2010 — A New Direction". Mormon Stories Podcast. January 15, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- "Mormon Stories # 112 & 113: Joanna Brooks Parts 1 and 2". Mormon Stories Podcast. January 20, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- "Mormon Stories # 116: John Hamer Pt. 1 — The LDS Succession Crisis of 1844 and the Beginnings of the RLDS Church". Mormon Stories Podcast. January 24, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- Stephen Smoot, "Controversial Paper Critiquing Popular Mormon Podcast Published", Student Review, February 2013.
- by glsmith7 (2013-03-12). "Rollo review – Introduction | Angels in the Architecture". Seesangelsinthearchitecture.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Dehlin | Interpreter". Mormoninterpreter.com. 2013-02-23. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Hamblin, William (2013-02-25). "It is not personal". Mormon Scripture Explorations. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "The Dehlin Affair–The Current Uncivil War - General Discussions - Mormon Dialogue & Discussion Board". Mormondialogue.org. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- B Hodges (2013-08-16). "A Mormon Studies Blogliography". Maxwell Institute Blog. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- By admin (2012-06-23). "Did John Dehlin Bring Down the Mormon Studies Review: (Hint: the answer has two letters…)". John Adams Center. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Controversy over dismissal of BYU professor from Mormon Studies". Student Review. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Mormon Stories: A Note to Visitors
- "Gregory L. Smith’s Review of 'Mormon Stories'", Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture
- Welch, Rosalynde (June 28, 2012). "The Odd Couple: Story and Community: John Dehlin's Mormon Stories project has a contradiction at its center. Whether it's a fatal error or a brilliant accident is yet to be seen". Patheos