Mormon Studies Review
|Mormon Studies Review|
|Review of Books on the Book of Mormon, FARMS Review of Books, FARMS Review|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Mormon Stud. Rev.|
|Edited by||J. Spencer Fluhman|
Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship (United States)
Mormon Studies Review is an annual academic journal covering Mormon studies published by the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship at Brigham Young University.
The Review of Books on the Book of Mormon was established in 1989 by the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS), with Daniel C. Peterson as founding editor-in-chief. It was renamed to FARMS Review of Books in 1996, to FARMS Review in 2003, and to Mormon Studies Review in 2011. After FARMS was absorbed into the Maxwell Institute in 2006, and the FARMS brand was phased out, the Review continued publication.
Under Peterson's editorship, the journal specialized in LDS apologetics. In 1997, Peterson said to the Salt Lake Tribune, "FARMS has often had a polemical edge and we are curious to see how or whether that will be accommodated."
In 2012, Peterson was removed as editor and the journal entered hiatus as it sought to become more mainstream to Mormon studies. In March 2013, the Maxwell Institute announced the journal would relaunch as a new publication religious studies review journal, without a primary focus on apologetics. J. Spencer Fluhman, from BYU's department of history, was appointed editor-in-chief with a new broad-based advisory board. The new Review changed from biannual to annual publication, and restarted its numbering, beginning at volume 1 in 2014, signifying its change in editorial direction as a new publication.
Selected apologia of note
A review of Christopher Hitchens's God Is Not Great, published in FARMS Review by William J. Hamblin in 2009, was highlighted in a more extensive criticism of Hitchens by atheistic American philosopher and social critic Curtis White in 2013.
- Peterson, Daniel C. (1996), "Editor's Introduction: Triptych (Inspired by Hieronymus Bosch)", FARMS Review of Books 8 (1): v, retrieved 2009-07-28
- Midgley, Louis (2003), "Editor's Introduction: On Caliban Mischief", The FARMS Review 15 (1): xi, retrieved 2009-07-28
- Peterson, Daniel C. (2010), "Editor's Introduction: An Unapologetic Apology for Apologetics", The FARMS Review 22 (2), retrieved 2011-02-04
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher (2012-06-26), "Shake-up hits BYU's Mormon studies institute", The Salt Lake Tribune, retrieved 2013-04-05
- "BYU renames ISPART to Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship". News Release. Brigham Young University. March 1, 2006. Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- Daniel C. Peterson (2010). "Editor's Introduction: An Unapologetic Apology for Apologetics". FARMS Review 22 (2). Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher (April 19, 2013), "Split emerges among Mormon scholars", The Salt Lake Tribune
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher (November 8, 1997), Group Trying to Prove LDS Works Joins With BYU; But Can Controversial Questions Continue?, Salt Lake Tribune
- Blair Hodges (2013-03-25), "Announcing the new Mormon Studies Review", Maxwell Institute Blog (Maxwell Institute), retrieved 2014-12-18
- "The Role of Apologetics in Mormon Studies | Interpreter". Mormoninterpreter.com. 2012-12-14. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Wendt, Anna (March 26, 2013), "Neal A. Maxwell Institute announces "Mormon Studies Review"", The Universe
- From BHodges (2013-03-27), "Seven Questions for Spencer Fluhman", Maxwell Institute Blog (Maxwell Institute), retrieved 2014-12-18
- "Periodicals: FARMS Review". Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship. Brigham Young University. Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- J. Spencer Fluhman (2014). "Friendship: An Editor's Introduction". Mormon Studies Review 1 (1): 2. Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- William J. Hamblin. "The Most Misunderstood Book: christopher hitchens on the Bible - William J. Hamblin - FARMS Review - Volume 21 - Issue 2". Maxwellinstitute.byu.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- White, Curtis (2013), The Science Delusion: Asking the Big Questions in a Culture of Easy Answers, Melville House Publishing, ISBN 9781612192017
- White, Curtis (2013-06-23). "Christopher Hitchens’ lies do atheism no favors". Salon.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- Official website
- Archive of FARMS Review, predecessor to the Mormon Studies Review
- Introducing the inaugural issue of the Mormon Studies Review