Morning Sun (album)
|Studio album by Barbara Mandrell|
|Released||April 9, 1990|
|Recorded||June 1989 (Nashville, TN)|
|Barbara Mandrell chronology|
|Singles from Morning Sun|
Morning Sun is the twenty second studio album released by American country artist Barbara Mandrell. The album was released in April 1990 on Capitol Records. It was Mandrell's second studio release for the Capitol label.
Background and content
Morning Sun was recorded in June 1989 at the Groundstar Recording Lab and the Music Mill, both located in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. The album consisted of ten tracks of new material. The album's fifth track "Crazy Arms" was a cover version of the single by Ray Price. The song featured Price singing the song as a duet with Mandrell. The album also included the track "Do You Know Where Your Man Is", which country artist Pam Tillis would later record for her album, Homeward Looking Angel and would become a Top 20 single. The album's musical style is mainly formatted in a traditional country music style, with fiddles and steel guitars included on the background of the album. The album was originally released on a compact disc upon its release in 1990.
Morning Sun spawned three singles between 1989 and 1990. The lead single, "You Wouldn't Know Love (If It Looked You in the Eye)" was released in November 1989. The song failed to chart on the United States' Billboard Magazine Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart, but did peak at #81 on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart in early March 1990. The single became Mandrell's final single to chart in Canada and any other singles chart. The album's second and third singles entitled "You've Become the Dream" and "The Nearness of You" were both released in 1990, but both failed to chart the Billboard and RPM country singles charts. The album itself was released in April 1990 and also failed to chart, not reaching Billboard Top Country Albums chart.
A review in People was mostly negative, criticizing Mandrell's singing voice as "stiff" and "whiny" on certain tracks. The reviewer thought that the "Crazy Arms" cover was the only song on which she "get[s] much emotion across".
- "The Nearness of You"
- "Do You Know Where Your Man Is" – (Carol Chase, Dave Gibson, Russell Smith)
- "I'm Not Your Super Woman"
- "Trying Times"
- "Crazy Arms" – (Ralph Mooney, Chuck Seals)
- with Ray Price
- "You Wouldn't Know Love (If It Looked You in the Eye)"
- "Baby I Hate"
- "It's Over for the Last Time Again"
- "Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People" (Keith Stegall, Roger Murrah)
- "You've Become the Dream" (James Dean Hicks, Murrah)
Sales chart positions
|1989||You Wouldn't Know Love (If It Looked You in the Eye)"||81|
- "Picks and Pans Review: Morning Sun". People. 2 July 1990. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Barbara Mandrell's Recording Sessions". Country Music.Blogspot. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "Morning Sun > Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- "Search results for Barbara Mandrell, "You Wouldn't Know Love"". RPM. Retrieved 14 January 2010.