Moroka Swallows F.C.
|Full name||Moroka Swallows Football Club|
|Nickname(s)||The Birds, The Beautiful Birds,
The Dube Birds
|Founded||10 October 1947|
|Ground||Volkswagen Dobsonville Stadium, Soweto,
|Owner||FB Soccer Investment Ltd., Cape Town|
|2012–13||ABSA Premiership, 9th|
The club was founded in the 1940s by a trio of soccer lovers, Ishmael Lesolang, Strike Makgatha and Johnny Kubheka.
They originally named the side Congregated Rovers after the firm in which most of the players and officials worked, later changing it to Moroka Rovers.
The name has lasted for the best part of 55 years, a period which has seen consistent success both on the field and off it.
The 1950s and 1960s were a successful time for the club, culminating in their greatest ever achievement, winning the South African League title in 1965.
Off the field, the club was becoming a business and in 1971 they became the first ever soccer team to register as a public company.
That same year they were also the first to receive an official sponsorship when Teljoy began their association with the club.  The decade between 1982 and 1992 was a successful one for the team, culminating in four pieces of silverware.
- South African Soccer League
- Winners: 1965
- Mainstay Cup
- Winners: 1983
- Bob Save Super Bowl
- Winners: 1989, 1981
- BP Top Eight Cup
- Winners: 1975, 1979
- Sales House Cup
- Winners: 1978
- ABSA Cup
- Winners: 2004
- Nedbank Cup
- Winners: 2009
- MTN 8
- Winners: 2012
- Most starts: Andries Mpondo 395
- Most goals: Thomas Hlongwane 73
- Most capped player: Lerato Chabangu 13
- Most starts in a season: Andries Mpondo 49 (1986)
- Most goals in a season: Thomas Hlongwane 27 (1985)
- Record Victory: 8–0 vs African Wanderers (29/9/91, NSL)
- Record Defeat: 2–6 vs Hellenic (7/3/85, Sales House Cup); Rangers (3/7/87, NSL)
Premier Soccer League record
Club officials/Technical team
- MD & CEO: Leon Prins
- General manager: Sipho Xulu
- Team manager: Bennet Mtshali
- Coach: Zeca Marques
- Assistant coach: Fani Madida
- Goalkeeper coach: Edgard da Silva
First team squad
As of 12 March, 2015.
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
In the South African PSL, only five non-South African nationals can be registered. Foreign players who have acquired permanent residency can be registered as locals.
- Greg Etafia (permanent residency)
Shirt sponsor & kit manufacturer
Notable former coaches
- PSL Club Info
- Moroka Swallows Football Club – Succession
- The history of Moroka Swallows Football Club: Don’t follow me, follow the Birds!
- PART 2: The first decade (1947–1957)
- The Second Decade (1957–1967)
- Moroka Swallows Big XV 1968–1978
- PART 5: THE FOURTH DECADE (1979–1988)
- PART 6: THE FIFTH DECADE (1989–1998)
- PART 7: THE SIXTH DECADE (1999–2008)
- "Moroka Swallows". Kickoff.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Kickoff PSL Yearbook 2013/2014, p. 32.
- Official website
- Premier Soccer League
- PSL Club Info
- South African Football Association
- Confederation of African Football