|Elevation||4,530 ft (1,380 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Moroto is located approximately 210 kilometres (130 mi), by road, northeast of Mbale, the nearest large city. This location lies approximately 420 kilometres (260 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the town are:01 31 48N, 34 40 12E (Latitude:2.5300; Longitude:34.6700).
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Moroto at 7,380. In 2008, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimates the population of the town at 10,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Moroto at 12,300.
The landmarks within the town limits or near the edges of town include:
- The headquarters of Moroto District Administration
- The offices of Moroto Town Council
- Mount Moroto - Rising to a peak of 3,000 metres (9,800 ft), above sea level, the mountain is only 3 kilometres (1.9 mi), east of the town.
- Moroto Central Market
- Moroto Airport - A public airport located about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) west of town.
Other points of interest
Other points of interest in or near Moroto include:
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- Moroto Regional Referral Hospital - A 200 bed regional referral hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- The headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Moroto