|Elevation||4,530 ft (1,380 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Moroto is located approximately 210 kilometres (130 mi), by road, northeast of Mbale, the nearest large city. This location lies approximately 420 kilometres (260 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the town are:2°31'48.0"N, 34°40'12.0"E (Latitude:2.5300; Longitude:34.6700).
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Moroto at 7,380. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 11,600. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Moroto at 12,300. In 2014, the national population census put the population of Moroto town at 14,818.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or near the edges of town:
- The headquarters of Moroto District Administration
- The offices of Moroto Town Council
- Mount Moroto - Rising to a peak of 3,083 metres (10,115 ft), above sea level, the mountain lies only 3 kilometres (1.9 mi), east of the town.
- Moroto Central Market
- Moroto Airport - A public airport located about 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) west of town.
- The headquarters of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Moroto, headed by Bishop Damiano Giulio Guzzetti.
Other points of interest
Other points of interest in or near Moroto include:
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- Moroto Regional Referral Hospital - A 200 bed regional referral hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health.
- UBOS, . (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Map Showing Mbale And Moroto With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Moroto With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Moroto Town At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Moroto Town In 2002, 2010 And 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 3 June 2014.