|This article relies on references to primary sources. (May 2010)|
Mortem is a Death Metal band formed in 1986 in Lima, Peru. They are the first Peruvian metal band to have toured Europe and the United States. Mortem’s musical style is firmly rooted in the death metal, black metal and thrash metal of the nineteen-eighties. Mortem's characteristic heavy sound is defined through slow and sinister death metal alternated with fast and aggressive counterparts. Frantic tremolo picking in the style of early Possessed and Death built on passionate rhythmic percussion topped with wailing atonal and melodic guitar solos comprise a potent mix which lives up to the principle of death metal technique to craft pounding ritualistic and spirited death metal. Vocals are forged from guttural rasps and often develop into high shrieks while lyrics deal mainly with the occult and anti-Christianity.
Mortem is one of the oldest and most celebrated bands from the obscured Peruvian Death metal scene. Founded by Fernán Nebiros and Alvaro Amduscias in July–August 1986, Mortem has been through several line-up changes as they toured South America and released a number of demos. Mortem released their debut album Demon Tales in 1996 after signing a record deal with Peruvian recordlabel Huasipungo Records. Demon Tales would be the second Peruvian metal album ever released, following the Hadez release ‘Aquelarre’ in 1993. Shortly after releasing Demon Tales Mortem was signed to German metal label Merciless Records which made Mortem the first Peruvian metal band ever to sign to a European label.
In 2003 and 2004 Mortem became the first Peruvian metal band in history to tour Europe and the United States. In 2007 with four full length studio albums and one live album to their name Mortem have achieved notable underground status and as such loyal support across the continents. Mortem has performed concerts with Sarcofago, Immolation, Sadistic Intent, Possessed, Slayer and many more.
- Fernán Nebiros – guitar, vocals (1986 – present)
- Alvaro Amduscias – drums, bass, vocals (1986–1998, 2000 – present)
- Wilber Rosán – guitar (1993–1998, 1999 – present)
- Juan C. Muro – bass (1995 – present)
- Pablo “Genocidio” Rey – guitar, bass (1988–1991)
- José "Mortuorio" Sagar – drums (1987–1988)
- Héctor Panty – guitar (1987–1988)
- Hugo "Satanarchust" Calle – drums (1988–1989)
- Janio "Tremolón" Cuadros – guitar (1989–1993), live guitar (2000–2003)
- Javier "Manthas" Gamarra – bass (1991–1992)
- José "Chino Morza" Okamura – live vocals, bass (1991–1991, 2000 - 2000)
- Carlos Verástegui – bass (1992–1995)
- Jaime García – drums (1998–2000)
- Sandro García – guitar (1998–1999)
- Christian Jhon – guitar (1999–1999)