|Type||Public limited company|
|Traded as||ASX: MOC|
|Founder(s)||Rodney Higgins & Peter Higgins|
|Key people||Peter Ritchie AO (Chairman)
Michael Russell (CEO)
Mortgage Choice is a current member of the Franchise Council of Australia as well as the Mortgage & Finance Association of Australia; and holds a credit license (number 382869) issued by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission.
The company was founded in 1992 in Sydney by Rod Higgins and Peter Higgins. After two years in operation, the company became a franchisor in 1994 by selling its first franchise license in Wollongong. That grew to a national footprint in 1996.
In 1998 Mortgage Choice launched a website and ran its first TV advertisement one year later.
In 2004, the company officially listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.
In 2008, it launched a diversified product offering, commencing with mortgage protection insurance; in 2011 that offering runs across commercial and personal loans, asset finance and risk and general insurances.
In 2009, Mortgage Choice acquired mortgage aggregator LoanKit . This re-launched in 2010 as the company’s aggregation arm.
In Australia, Mortgage Choice is a national mortgage broker with a customer base in excess of 350,000 and a residential home loan panel of over 25 lenders.
The franchisor’s head office is in Sydney, with state offices in Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
There are approximately 380 Mortgage Choice franchises in operation across Australia in all states and territories.
Financial highlights for the 12 months to 30 June 2013
- NPATon a cash basis was $15.8 million, an increase of 5.0% on FY12. ·
- Total group revenue on a cash basis was $150.0 million, up 4.2% on FY12. The business’ cash gross profit rose to $57 million, a rise of 6% on FY12. ·
- Total loan book, ie. loans written by mortgage brokers in its franchise network and its aggregation arm, LoanKit, reached $47.7 billion. This was up 5.8% from $45.1 billion at 30 June 2012. ·
- $11.9 billion worth of housing loan approvals were written by the Group in the year, up from $11.2 billion in FY12. Mortgage Choice’s core business loan approvals were $10.4 billion, up from $10.1 billion in FY12. ·
- Annual share of new home loans remained at 4.6%. Mortgage Choice core business market share was 4.0%, down by 0.2% on FY12.·
- A fully franked final dividend of 7 cents per share was declared by the Board, which takes the total dividends for the year to 13 cents per share, the same as FY12.
IFRS highlights for the 12 months to 30 June 2013
- Group net profit after tax (NPAT) was $18.7 million, up 1.4% on $18.5 million in FY12. ·
- Earnings per share stood at 15.2 cents compared to 15.4 cents in FY12.·
- Total group revenue was $156.5 million, down0.3% on FY12.
- "Current FCA Members". Franchise Council Australia. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Find An MFAA Member". MFAA. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Credit Licensee Mortgage Choice". ASIC. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Mortgage Choice About Us". Mortgage Choice. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Mortgage Choice acquires Loankit". Business Spectator. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Mortgage Choice acquires HelpChooseMe". Smart Company. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Mortgage Choice launches bluegum home loans". Predictive Text. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "About Mortgage Choice". Mortgage Choice. Retrieved 2011-07-04.