Mosque of Pasha Qasim
|Mosque of Pasha Qasim|
|Former name(s)||St Bartholomew's Church (1220-1540)|
|Years built||16th century|
The Mosque of Pasha Qasim is one of the symbols of the city of Pécs, Hungary, located in the city centre, on the main square (Széchenyi square). Today, it functions as a Roman Catholic church. The building, hundred steps both its length and its width, was built by Pasha Qasim the Victorious between 1543 and 1546. The minaret of the mosque was brought down by the Jesuits in 1766. It is still one of the largest Turkish buildings that remains in Hungary. It harbours the characteristics of Turkish architecture.
Standing at the highest point of Pécs's Széchenyi square, the mosque of pasha Qasim is the greatest example of Turkish architecture in Hungary. It was probably built in the second half of the 16th century. In the 1660s Evliya Çelebi, the famous Turkish traveller wrote of the overwhelming majesty of its view. A number of changes had been made on the building between the 18th and the 20th centuries. Its minaret was ultimately taken down but had been previously enlarged. Only the main square part remained of the original structure: the octagon drum, covered by a dome. There are arc windows in two rows on the façade of its south-eastern, south western and north-eastern part; 3-3 and 4-4 pieces. Inside the church, in the remaining plaster parts the Turkish decoration and inscriptions of the Qur'an are clearly visible. The Turkish pulpit and the women's balcony were destroyed and the mihrab is not the original either. The two Turkish bathing basins before the sacristies (today holy water) are taken from the former bath of the pasha next to the church. Today, the building functions as a Catholic church.
- Rados Jenő: Magyar építészettörténet (p. 161-168) - 1961. Bp. Műszaki K. - ETO 72 (439) 091 (Hungarian)
- Szerk. Fülep L.: A magyarországi művészet története (p. 371-372) - Bp.1961. Képzőmúv. Alap K. - Kossuth Ny. 61.3465. (Hungarian)
- Goldziher Ignác: Az iszlám kultúrája - Gondolat K. Bp. 1981. - ISBN 963-280-607-7 (Hungarian)
- H. Stierlin: Iszlám művészet és építészet - Bp. Alexandra K. - ISBN 963-368-127-8 (Hungarian)
- H. Stierlin. Türkei - Architektur von Seldschuken bis Osmanen - Taschen Weltarchitektur - ISBN 3-8228-7857-X (German)
Media related to Mosque of pasha Qasim at Wikimedia Commons