Most consecutive wins over one opponent (NCAA football)
The following is a list of the all-time leading NCAA Division I FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) college football single-opponent winning streaks. Streaks are ranked by the number of consecutive wins posted by one team against a regular opponent. All streaks active and historical streaks of at least 20 games are included.
|School||Opponent||Consecutive wins||Year started||Last win||Uninterrupted series?||Notes/References|
|Notre Dame||Navy||43||1964||2006||Yes||Navy won in 2007|
|Nebraska||Kansas||36||1969||2004||Yes||KU won in 2005|
|Penn State||Temple||31||1952||2014†||No, the games were played over a 63-year period.||Penn State has an unbeaten streak against Temple dating back to 1941. The teams played to a tie in 1950.|
|Clemson||Virginia||29||1955||1989||No, the games were played over a 35-year period.|||
|Florida||Kentucky||28||1987||2014†||Yes||Longest in-conference streak in Southeastern Conference history|
|USC||Oregon State||26||1968||1999||No, the games were played over a 32-year period.|||
|Tennessee||Kentucky||26||1985||2010||Yes||Kentucky won in 2011. Rivalry formerly known as the Battle for the Barrel|
|Penn State||West Virginia||25||1959||1983||Yes|||
|Texas A&M||TCU||24||1973||2001†||No, the games have been played over a 28-year period.||Texas A&M won 23 consecutive games against TCU from 1973 to 1995 while they were both members of the old Southwest Conference. Texas A&M beat TCU again in the 2001 Galleryfurniture.com Bowl, and the teams have not played since then.|
|Nebraska||Oklahoma State||24||1974||1999||No, the games were played over a 26-year period.|||
|Penn State||Maryland||24||1962||1988||No, the games were played over a 27-year period.||The streak began following Maryland's first win in the series in 1961, and finally ended with the only tie in 1989.|
|Iowa||Northwestern||22||1974||1994||Yes|| Northwestern's 1995 team also ended a 19-game (30 year) losing streak to Michigan and a 14-game (33 year) losing streak to Notre Dame.|
|LSU||Louisiana - Lafayette||22||1902||2009†||No, the games have been played over a 107-year period.|||
|Florida||Vanderbilt||22||1989||2012||No, the games have been played over a 23-year period.||The series was uninterrupted since 1992 (21 wins). Vanderbilt won in 2013 |
|Ohio State||Northwestern||21||1972||2004||No, the games were played over a 32-year period.|||
|Oklahoma||Baylor||20||1901||2011||No, the games were played over a 109-year period.||Baylor ended the streak with a 45-38 victory in 2011.|
† Active Streak
References and sources
- "Notre Dame's NCAA-record 43-game win streak over Navy ends". ESPN.com. 3 November 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-03.
- "Navy 46, Notre Dame 44 - Play by Play". ESPN.com. November 3, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-03.
- "Streaks and Rivalries" (PDF). Official 2007 NCAA Division I Football Records Book (NCAA). 2007. p. 112. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-11-07.
- Associated Press (November 26, 2011). "Kentucky ends 26-game skid vs. Tennessee, which will miss bowl". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- "All-Time Football Scores: TCU". aggieathletics.com. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- "Penn State vs Maryland Historical Record". stassen.com. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "Florida’s nightmare season continues with first loss to Vanderbilt since 1988".
- "Ohio State vs Wisconsin". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved 2013-03-26.