As of 2008[update], he is the Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President at Illumina. Prior to this position, he was a principal investigator and Senior Research Associate at the Stanford Genome Technology Center at Stanford University, focusing on developing analytical techniques for molecular diagnostics.
He is principal investigator for several grants including grants from the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), part of the National Institutes of Health  for the development of array-based Pyrosequencing.
He is a co-inventor (with Pål Nyrén) of pyrosequencing technology and co-founded Pyrosequencing AB in 1997 (renamed to Biotage in 2003), and co-invented Molecular Inversion Probe assay and co-founded ParAllele BioScience to develop this multiplexed technology for genetic testing. ParAllele was acquired by Affymetrix in May 2005. In 2005, he co-founded Nextbio, a search engine for life science data. He also serves on the board of directors of IntegenX and Aurora Biofuels. In 2008 he co-founded Avantome, a DNA sequencing company acquired by Illumina July 2008.
Among his approximately 50 peer-reviewed journal articles are the publications describing Pyrosequencing and Molecular Inversion Probe assays and other techniques:
- Absalan F, Ronaghi M. "Molecular inversion probe assay." Methods in Molecular Biology 2007;396:315-30. PMID 18025701
- Hardenbol P, Banér J, Jain M, Nilsson M, Namsaraev EA, Karlin-Neumann GA, Fakhrai-Rad H, Ronaghi M, Willis TD, Landegren U, Davis RW. "Multiplexed genotyping with sequence-tagged molecular inversion probes." Nature Biotechnology 2003 Jun;21(6):673-8. Epub 2003 May 5. PMID 12730666
- "Prediction of protein orientation upon immobilization on biological and nonbiological surfaces." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2006 Oct 3;103(40):14773-8. Epub 2006 Sep 25. PMID 17001006
- Ronaghi M. "Pyrosequencing sheds light on DNA sequencing." Genome Research 2001 Jan;11(1):3-11. doi:10.1101/gr.11.1.3 PMID 11156611.
- Ronaghi M, Uhlén M, Nyrén P. "A sequencing method based on real-time pyrophosphate." Science 1998 Jul 17;281(5375):363, 365. doi:10.1126/science.281.5375.363 PMID 9705713.
- Ronaghi M, Karamohamed S, Pettersson B, Uhlén M, Nyrén P. "Real-time DNA sequencing using detection of pyrophosphate release." Analytical Biochemistry 1996 Nov 1;242(1):84-9. doi:10.1006/abio.1996.0432 PMID 8923969.
He also holds about 20 patents.
- Illumina | 2008 Release: Illumina Appoints Mostafa Ronaghi as Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer
- genome.gov | 2004 Release: NHGRI Seeks Next Generation of Sequencing Technologies
- tradingmarkets.com | 2008 Release: Illumina To Acquire Privately-Held Avantome For $25 Million In Cash Upfront
- [Pyrosequencing Array for DNA Sequencing]