|Public (LSE: MTC)|
|Headquarters||Cherry Tree Road, Watford, Hertfordshire|
|Alan Parker (Chairman)
Mark Newton-Jones (CEO)
|Revenue||£766.4 million (2010)|
|£52.0 million (2010)|
|Profit||£23.6 million (2010)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Early Learning Centre|
Mothercare plc (LSE: MTC) is a British retailer which specialises in products for expectant mothers and in general merchandise for children up to 8 years old. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE SmallCap Index.
In 1982, it merged with Habitat to form Habitat Mothercare plc. In 1986, Habitat Mothercare plc merged with British Home Stores, to form Storehouse plc. In January 1996, it bought Children's World from Boots, and rebranded all of their superstores Mothercare World stores. In 2000, the Bhs stores were sold to Philip Green, and Storehouse reverted to the Mothercare brand.
In July 2010, Mothercare bought the trademark and brand of privately owned rival Blooming Marvellous.
In May 2011, it was reported that Mothercare was set to undergo a major restructure in their retail sector, resulting in an undisclosed number ELC stores moving into neighbouring Mothercare stores to lower costs.
The Company operates online, on the high street and out of town, and in November 2009 had over 1,060 stores worldwide of which 389 were in the United Kingdom, and 671 were abroad in 38 other countries.
In Ukraine the Mothercare brand is represented by MBGroup LLC. Ukrainian Mothercare stores are the same as their European counterparts, with British representatives carefully monitoring the quality of the stores and their staff. The flagship store was opened in August 2004 in Kiev's premier shopping mall "Globus". It is the largest Mothercare store in Ukraine, both in terms of size and range of products. After rapid expansion, the Mothercare brand is represented in the Ukraine by over 20 stores in Kiev and several additional stores in Lviv, Dnipropetrovsk, Kharkiv, Odessa, Donetsk, Vinnytsia and Zaporizhya.
- "Annual Report 2010" (PDF). Mothercare. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- Mothercare Chief Executive ousted after fourth profits warning in under a year
- UK Business Park:Storehouse
- "Mothercare to buy Early Learning Centre", Reuters, April 30, 2007
- Mothercare pre-tax profits increase tenfold, back from the brink Baby Chums, May 22, 2009.
- Mothercare buys remaining 50% of Gurgle.com Retail Week, 18 September 2009
- Mothercare buys up rival Blooming Marvellous Daily Mail, 15 July 2010
- "Overseas sales boost Mothercare", BBC News, November 16, 2006