|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Dewey Decimal||813/.54 21|
|LC Class||PS3562.E8544 M68 1999|
|Preceded by||Girl in Landscape|
|Followed by||Kafka Americana|
Motherless Brooklyn is a Jonathan Lethem detective story set in Brooklyn and published in 1999. Lethem's protagonist, Lionel Essrog, has Tourette syndrome, a disorder marked by involuntary tics. Essrog works, along with Tony, Danny and Gilbert, who call themselves the Minna Men, for Frank Minna—a small-time neighborhood owner of a "seedy and makeshift" detective agency—who is stabbed to death.
Under the guise of a detective novel, Lethem has written a more piercing tale of investigation, one revealing how the mind drives on its own "wheels within wheels." Unlike the stock detective novel it shadows, the thriller in which clarity emerges on the final page, Motherless Brooklyn immerses us in the mind's dense thicket, a place where words split and twine in an ever-deepening tangle.
Motherless Brooklyn has a few problems -- including some cartoonlike stock characters and one scene near the end that flirts with maudlin sentimentality—but it works far better than the average hip postmodern novel in terms of sheer emotional impact. Because Lethem never lets the metaphorical and linguistic possibilities of his narrator's illness overshadow his immensely appealing humanity, we really care about Lionel and his search for his mentor's killer.
A film adaptation of the book, set in the 1950s, is in development and is planned to be released in 2013; Edward Norton will direct, adapt, and star in the film. Filming will begin in New York in 2014. 
- Krist, Gary (September 23, 1999). "Jonathan Lethem: Motherless Brooklyn". Salon.com. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "All Past National Book Critics Circle Award Winners and Finalists - Page 2". National Book Critics Circle. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- "The CWA Dagger Awards". The Crime Writers' Association. October 27, 2008. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- Mobilio, Albert (October 17, 1999). "What Makes Him Tic?". The New York Times. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- Kellogg, Carolyn (February 26, 2014). "Edward Norton will film Jonathan Lethem's 'Motherless Brooklyn' http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-edward-norton-film-jonathan-lethem-motherless-brooklyn-20140226,0,1046308.story#ixzz2ud13tWAM". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Motherless Brooklyn". flixster.com. Retrieved November 29, 2009.
- Lea, Andy (June 8, 2008). "Hulk Star Ed's Incredible Hulk". Daily Star. Retrieved November 29, 3009.
- Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem, reviewed by Ted Gioia (Postmodern Mystery)
- The film version of Motherless Brooklyn at the Internet Movie Database