Moti Mahal Delux
Moti Mahal is a chain of restaurants with over 90 franchisees in India starting with Moti Mahal restaurant established by Kundan Lal Gujral in Daryaganj, Delhi. It was the first Indian restaurant to introduce tandoori cuisine to the world. Some of the restaurants are popular for reasons other than their food, too - the Moti Mahal Restaurant at Metrowalk Mall Rohini, Delhi, holds the record for constructing the longest aquarium in India in the Limca Book of Records.
Moti Mahal was first set up in Peshawar in undivided India in 1920 by a Hindu Punjabi Kundan Lal Gujral. Gujral moved to Delhi following the partition of India in 1947 and opened a restaurant in Daryaganj, Delh. According to Gujral, he invented the signature dishes of Indian restaurants, tandoori chicken and butter chicken.
Gujral's grandson, changed the name of the restaurant chain from Moti Mahal Restaurants to Moti Mahal Delux - Tandoori Trail which now has over 90 franchisees spread throughout India. The company's products include processed food marketed as "Moti Mahal ready to eat".
Awards and accolades
Kundan Lal Gujral has received several awards and recognitions, such as:
- Indian Association of Tour Operators lifetime achievement award.
- H&FS Award for his lifetime contribution to food and beverage industry in 1995.
- World Tourism Promotion Award in recognition of his innovation, the tandoori chicken, and contribution to hospitality industry.
- Trans Himalayan Selection Award -Gold Medal for introducing to the world tandoori cuisine
Other awards given to Moti Mahal Delux Tandoori Trail Restaurants
- Winner Coca Cola Golden Spoon Award for the Most Admired F&B Retailer -chain of restaurants of the Year 2009-2010
- A Moti Mahal cookbook authored by Monish Gujral was awarded the Best Easy Recipe Book of the World by Gourmand Book PARIS on 11 Feb 2010.
- Winner the BEST of Best Restaurant in Delhi and NCR by Mail Today 2009- 2010
- The Franchise India Holding Ltd. – Franchise Awards 2006 on 3 December 2006 for the best in food and beverage category
- Awarded as “Best of the Best” Delhi-NCR’s Finest Restaurants by Antiquity and Mail Today
- Editor’s Choice Award – HT City Eating Out Guide
- "100 years of Dilli Khana". Business Line. 2011.
- Cooking made easy http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Food/Cooking-made-easy/Article1-576575.aspx
- Most Admired F&B Retailer of the Year: Dine-in Indian Origin Winner: Moti Mahal http://www.indiaretailing.com/News.aspx?Topic=1&Id=4558