Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad|
|Motto in English||Success comes through hard work|
|Location||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban, 222 acres (0.9 km2)|
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad (MNNIT or NIT Allahabad), formerly Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College (MNREC), is a public higher education institute located in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is one of the National Institutes of Technology, and like the rest of them, classified as an Institute of National Importance.In the survey carried out by ET Now-Economic Times jointly, MNNIT Allahabad was declared as the best engineering institution of North India and ranked No.1 in overall ranking. The college has distinction of being first in the country to start an undergraduate programme in Computer Science & Engineering in 1976-77.
Motilal Nehru Regional Engineering College was established on 26 June 1961 as a joint enterprise of the Central government and the government of Uttar Pradesh. The foundation stone was laid by Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India and the institute was named after his father, lawyer and freedom fighter, Motilal Nehru. The founding principal of the college was Mr. Gopal Kishore Agrawal. The main building of college was inaugurated by Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on 18 April 1965. Effective from 26 June 2002, the college became a Deemed University and renamed as Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology.
From its beginnings the institute offered Bachelor Degree Programmes in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. The institute was the first in the country to offer an undergraduate program in Computer Science and Engineering which was started in 1976. In 1982-83 undergraduate programmes in Electronics Engineering, and Production and Industrial Engineering, were started.
Post Graduate programmes were introduced in 1970-71 with Master Degree courses in all engineering departments. The institute now offer M.Tech. degree programs MCA & M.Sc Mathematics and Scientific Computing course, and registers candidates for Ph.D. degree.The institute has been recognised by the Government of India as a centre for the quality improvement programme in Civil and Mechanical Engineering. The institute has started a two year/four semesters postgraduate Degree in Management Studies from 1996. Th institute has added undergraduate programmes in Chemical Engineering and BioTechnology.
The college has been recognised by AICTE as a centre for the Quality Improvement Programme. In 1972, the college established an industrial estate with 69 sheds with the objective of encouraging entrepreneurs and creating additional revenue.
The college is a member of Indo-UK REC project in the area of design. Under this scheme, a Design Center has been established at a cost of about Rs. six Crore, which offers training and consultancy. It was given the status of Institute of National Importance (INI) on 15 August 2007.
In 2010, the institute celebrated its Golden Jubilee year of its establishment. P. Chakrabarti took over the charge as the director on 3 June 2011.
In order to co-ordinate the activities of all NITs the Central Government has constituted a NIT Council, as under:
1. Minister of HRD, Government of India Chairman
2. Education Secretary, Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
3. Principal Advisor (Education), Planning Commission Member
4. Secretary, Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India Member
5. Director General, Council of Scientific & Industrial Research Member
6. Special Secretary/Additional Secretary/ Educational advisor (T),Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
7. Chairman, USC Member
8. Chairman, AICTE Member
9. Financial Advisor, Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
10. Two Chairman of the Boards of the Institutes (By rotation) Member
11. Five Directors of the Institutes (by rotation) Member
12. One Director of NIT
(By rotation in alphabetic order) Member
13. Two Secretaries of Higher/Technical
Education from States where NITs are located (By rotation) Member
14. Two persons from Industry nominated by the Central Government Member
15. Joint Secretary (Technical Education)
Joint Educational Adviser (T), Ministry of HRD, Government of India Member
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad (formerly known as M.N.R.E.C), the cornerstone of excellence has been devoted to churning out the best and ever competitive technical professionals year after year ever since its founding. Located in the traditional cradle of culture and knowledge, MNNIT stands as the perfect epitome of profundity and inquisitiveness. The MNNIT site spreads over 222 acres (0.9 km2) on the bank of the river Ganges.
MNNIT is a fully residential institution with seven hostels for boys and one for girls. One hostel is exclusively for postgraduate students. The capacity of the boys hostel is 1800 (1044 single seated rooms and 252 quadruple seated rooms) and that of the girls hostel is 145.
Other buildings on the campus include Computer Center, Central Library, CAD lab, Geo Lab, Concrete Lab, Heat Engine lab, Electrical Machines lab, Virtual Instrumentation lab, Mechanical Workshop, multipurpose hall, conference and seminar hall. The lecture halls and the tutorial classes of the institution are fully air conditioned.
The institute offers 9 undergraduate B.Tech programs of four year duration in Bio Technology, Chemical Engineering\Technology, Civil Engineering, Ceramic Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Mechanical Engineering and Production & Industrial Engineering.
Admission is through JEE (Main).(http://jeemain.nic.in/jeemain2013/Welcome.aspx)
MNNIT offer 19 post-graduate programs of two year duration leading to M.Tech. degrees.The Computer Science department offers a Masters in Computer Applications(MCA).It has a Masters course in Computational Mathematics namely M.Sc in Mathematics and Scientific Computing and a B-school known as the School of Management Studies.Master of social work(MSW) is also running in the institute from 2009.
During academic session 2011–12, a student was offered 13.4 million (US$210,000) by Facebook, highest for any technical student in India during that session and second highest package in India overall, after 17 million (US$260,000) to an IIT Madras student during the 2010–11 session. There are more than 100 MNCs visiting the institute every year. Some major companies are: ABB, CISCO,Goldman Sachs, Facebook, Microsoft, Adobe Systems, Amazon, Intel, Freescale, ZS Associates, Qualcomm, ARM, AMD, McAfee, Juniper Networks, Tejas Networks, Amdocs, Oracle Corporation, VMWare, Siemens, Ericsson, IBM, Xilinx, Synopsis, Honda, General Motors, Morgan Stanley, Hyundai, Caterpillar, Hitachi, General Electric, Schlumberger, Volkswagen, P&G, STMicroelectronics, Freescale and many more.
The departments in the institute are:
- Bio-medical Engineering
- Applied Mechanics
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Science & Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Information Technology & Software Engineering
- Industrial & Production Engineering
- Microwave Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Textile Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Product Design & Development
- Statistical Sciences
- Humanities and Social Science
- Management Studies
Student Halls of Residence
Boys 1.Tagore 2.Raman 3.Tilak 4.Tandon 5.Patel 6.Malviya 7.Swami Vivekananda 8. PG Boys
Girls 1.KNGH 2.SNGH
Research Scholar International Hostel
MNNIT hosts several annual events and festivals:
- Culrav, annual cultural festival, showcases the culture of India through competitions
- Avishkar, annual national level technical meet
- Gnosiomania, annual national level quiz festival
- Josh and Dr. J. Lal Memorial tournament, annual inter college sports event
- An annual athletics meet
- Swagat, welcoming the first year students
- Ruksat, farewell party for final year students
- Virasat, a cultural event organised by Spic Macay
|University and college rankings|
|Engineering – India|
|* Limited participation|
MNNIT was ranked 12 in the Outlook India Top Engineering Colleges of 2012 and unranked by Dataquest's India's Top Engineering Colleges 2011 (DQ-CMR Top T-Schools Survey 2011). In the limited participation CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011 it was ranked 6. Amongst government engineering colleges it was ranked 8 on Mint's Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009. In the survey carried out by ET Now-Economic Times jointly, MNNIT Allahabad was declared as the best engineering institution of North India and ranked No.1 in overall ranking among various prestigious institutes of North India in 2013.
- Deep Joshi, social worker, activist, and 2009 Ramon Magsaysay Award winner for Community Leadership
- Nelabhotla Venkateswarlu, Chief Executive Officer of Emami House
- Dr. Vivek Mansingh, President - Collaboration and Communications Group, Cisco
- Mouli Raman, Co-founder, CEO of OnMobile 
- "MNNIT Website". Economic Times.
- MNNIT Official Website. About the Institute.
- "Summary of proceedings of the Review Workshop - list of premier institutes in India". CDAC website. Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- "NIT-Allahabad student bags Rs 1.34-cr Facebook offer". Business Standards. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- "Best Engineering colleges 2013". India Today. 24 June 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "GHRDC-CSR Engineering Colleges Survey 2013" (PDF). Competition Success Review (Competition Success Review and the Global Human Resources Development Centre): 1–6. July 2013.
- "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "2009 Ramon Magsaysay Awardee - Deep Joshi". rmaf.org.ph. Retrieved 4 April 2012. "earning a degree from the National Institute of Technology in Allahabad"
- "Nelabhotla Venkateswarlu linkedin profile".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad.|