|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
|Elevation||60 m (200 ft)|
|• Official||Maithili, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Motipur is located 102 kilometres (63 mi) north of Patna, 30 kilometres (19 mi) north of Muzaffarpur & 54 kilometres (34 mi) south of Motihari. National Highway 28 passes through Motipur. The nearest airport is Patna Airport.
The motipur is well connected with the road and railways networks (Northern Eastern Railway). Railways services is direct connected with the all metropolition city of India. The railways has direct service from Motipur station to New Delhi, Kolkatta etc. and 24 hours passenger service from motipur to Motihar & muzaffarpur.
Major business hub has alomost 20 km surrounded area for the agriculture product trade and vegetable trads etc.
This town has a river Budhi Gandak flowing aside by it.Budhi Gandak is one of the branch of Gandak river.
As of 2001[update] India census, Motipur had a population of 21,933. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Motipur has an average literacy rate of 43%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 52%, and female literacy is 33%. In Motipur, 19% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- The number of households in Motipur is 52,685. Out of which rural household is 49,028 and the urban household is 3,657.
- Female to male ratio of Baruraj (Motipur) is 94.07% compared to the Bihar's female to male ratio 91.93%. It is unsatisfactory and the people should drive some campaign to improve this.
- Urban Female to male ratio of Baruraj (Motipur) is 87.08% compared to the female to male ratio 94.63% in rural area.
- The literacy rate of the block is 47% compared to the literacy rate of state 47%. The literacy rate of the block is comparable to state literacy rate. Anyhow, the rate of literacy is very low and needs immediate attention of Union and State Government.
- The female literacy rate is 30.05% compared to male literacy rate of 57.21%.
- The rural literacy rate is 43.37% compared to urban literacy rate of 52.55%. The rural female literacy rate is 29.3% compared to urban female literacy rate of 40.06%. The rural male literacy rate is 56.71% compared to urban male literacy rate of 63.26%.
- The total working population is 38.72% of the total population. 59.34% of the men are working population . 16.82% of the women are working population.
- The main working population is 30.35% of the total population. 50.59% of the men are main working population . 8.84% of the women are main working population . While the marginal working population is 8.37% of the total population. 8.75% . of the men are marginal working population. 7.97% of the women are marginal working population.
- The total non-working population is 61.28% of the total population. 40.66% of the men are non-working population . 83.18% of the women are non-working population.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
Motipur is the main business center of lichi in north bihar