Lawrence County Courthouse in Moulton, March 1934
Location in Lawrence County and the state of Alabama
|Incorporated||December 17, 1819|
|• Total||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Land||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||640 ft (195 m)|
|• Density||552.5/sq mi (213.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0160141|
Moulton is a city in Lawrence County, Alabama, and is included in the Decatur Metropolitan Area, as well as the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the population of the city is 3,471. The city is the county seat of Lawrence County.
Moulton is located at (34.482307, -87.285621).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.9 square miles (15 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,471 people, 1,482 households, and 912 families residing in the city. The population density was 552.1 people per square mile (213.3/km²). There were 1,486 housing units at an average density of 251.7 per square mile (97.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 78.2% White, 13.1% Black or African American, 4.1% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 4.1% from two or more races. 1.6% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,482 households out of which 25.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.7% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.5% were non-families. 36.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.7% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 21.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 81.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,639, and the median income for a family was $49,243. Males had a median income of $52,279 versus $30,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,696. About 8.3% of families and 15.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.9% of those under age 18 and 15.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Edward B. Almon, U.S. Representative representing Alabama's 8th congressional district from 1915 to 1933.
- Mary Lee Cagle, one of the first influential women and pastors in the Church of the Nazarene
- Kimberley Conrad, model and actress
- Asa Hodges, U.S. representative from Arkansas.
- John Wallace Jones, Mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana from 1854 to 1858.
- Thomas Minott Peters, lawyer and botanist
- Phillip Roddey, brigadier general in the army of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War
- David Stewart, American football offensive tackle. Graduated from Lawrence County High School.
The Honorable Heath Grimes, Superintendent
- A Digest of the Laws of the State of Alabama: Containing The Statutes and Resolutions in Force at the end of the General Assembly in January, 1823. Published by Ginn & Curtis, J. & J. Harper, Printers, New-York, 1828. Title 62. Chapter XXXV. Pages 813-814. "An Act to Incorporate the Town of Moulton, in the County of Lawrence.—Passed December 17, 1819." (Google Books)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013". Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.