Moumoon (stylized as moumoon) is a group formed by YUKA (Vo./ Lyrics) and Masaki (Gt./Composer) 『moumoon』 is a made-up term with a French word "mou (soft)" and "moon": soft moon.
They met at a summer rock festival about 10 years ago. A few weeks later, YUKA was struck by Masaki’s demos and she decided to start working with him. Masaki also felt something special with YUKA’s vocal so they started to make demos together. Thus moumoon was formed.
They have self-produced and arranged almost all of their songs. We get a sense of amazement and freshness constantly from their music.
They both grow up with classical music with Masaki playing piano and YUKA playing violin. Their present musical style covers various types of music such as pop, alternative rock, electronica, folk and indie rock. However, YUKA’s lyrics and vocal add scenery and a story line to Masaki’s sensitive but dynamic melodies, thereby painting every song the “moumoon color” which is like phases of the moon.
After moumoon was formed, their songs were power played on radio and used in many TV commercials earning them name recognition. In 2014, they held the biggest tour of their career (16 cities in Japan) and performed at various music festivals. They are expanding their activities and have built a unique position as the first Japanese artist who has gained acceptance overseas.
They are holding unique live shows called “FULLMOON LIVE” every full moon night.
2004–2006: Formation and indies
Yuka and Masaki met in summer 2004, but it was not until 2005 that they formed Moumoon. In October 2005, the duo held their first live performance at the Omotesando FAB. In 2006, they signed with the indie label Gate Records and released their debut single "Flowers/Pride". The single charted on the Oricon single charts at number 106. Soon after, Moumoon released their debut mini-album, Flowers (September 2006), which debuted at number 63 on the Oricon album charts.
On May 12, 2010, they released their eighth single, "Sunshine Girl", which entered the Oricon single charts at number 12, a first for the group. The following week the single rose to number 10, becoming their first Top 10 single. The duo released their fourth mini-album, titled Spark, on July 7, 2010.
|3||2012.02.08||No Night Land|
|5||2014.01.29||LOVE before we DIE|
|Indie||2006.07.26||Flowers / pride|
|1||2007.12.05||Do you remember?|
|3||2008.10.15||more than love|
|5||2009.07.22||On the right|
|6||2009.11.25||Aoi Tsuki to Ambivalence na Ai|
|8||2010.11.10||moonlight / Sky High / YAY|
|10||2011.12.14||Uta wo Utaou|
|11||2012.03.14||"Love is Everywhere"|
|14||2012.12.12||DREAMER DREAMER / Doko e mo Ikanai yo|
|1||2010.06.25||Let's dance in the moolight|
|2||2010.12.01||my Secret Santa|
|1||2007.11.28||Do you remember? (moumoon exclusive Ver.)|
|2||2008.06.04||Tiny Star Exclusive|
|3||2008.10.15||more than love ~Special Edition~|
|5||2009.11.25||Aoi Tsuki to Ambivalence na Ai + Acoustic version|
|9||2013.11.06||Emerald no Oka|
|11||2014.01.15||I say You say I You|
- "インタビュー：moumoon「色褪せない音楽を作りたい」(livedoor) - livedoor ニュース". Livedoor (in Japanese). 2008-06-08. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "インタビュー：moumoon「ものすごく激しいものと、ものすごく優しいものという両極端」(livedoor) - livedoor ニュース". Livedoor (in Japanese). 2008-12-19. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "Ｆｌｏｗｅｒｓ／ｐｒｉｄｅ ｍｏｕｍｏｏｎのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE". Oricon Style (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "Ｆｌｏｗｅｒｓ ｍｏｕｍｏｏｎのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE". Oricon Style (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "検索結果-ORICON STYLE アーティスト/CD検索". Oricon Style (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "蒼井優出演の資生堂「ANESSA」TVCMソングがオリコン急上昇！(hotexpress) - livedoor ニュース". Hot Express (in Japanese). Livedoor. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "資生堂ANESSA TV-CMソング moumoon、 「Sunshine Girl」ランキング急上昇！ - CDJournal.com ニュース". Ongaku Shuppansha (in Japanese). CD Journal. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2010-05-30.