Mt. Antero seen from U.S. 285.
|Elevation||14,276 ft (4,351 m)|
|Prominence||2,503 ft (763 m)|
|Isolation||17.67 mi (28.44 km)|
Colorado 4000 meter summits
Colorado range high points
|Location||Chaffee County, Colorado, U.S.|
|Topo map||USGS 7.5' topographic map
Mount Antero, Colorado
Mount Antero // is the highest summit of the southern Sawatch Range of the Rocky Mountains of North America. The 14,276-foot (4,351 m) fourteener, also known as Antero Peak, is named in honor of Chief Antero of the Uintah band of the Ute people. It is located in Chaffee County, Colorado, between the towns of Buena Vista and Salida. The mountain itself is prized for its gemstone deposits and has one of the highest concentrations of aquamarine in the country. There are several active private mining claims being exploited on Mt. Antero and surrounding peaks.
The peak is located entirely within the San Isabel National Forest, due south of the more visually prominent Mount Princeton. Mount Antero is one of the most prominent peaks of the Sawatch Range rising an impressive 7,200 feet above the town of Salida, Colorado to the south east. There are two popular climbing routes on Mount Antero. The generally accepted hiking route, which begins near the ghost town of St. Elmo, is from the east starting at the Browns Creek Trailhead and paralleling Little Browns Creek to its upper reaches where it crosses Forest Road 1A, then following the road near to the summit. The other route follows the same forest road from the north up Baldwin Creek. This route has heavy mining and tourist traffic in fair weather during the summer months.
The peak was surveyed by the Pike Expedition in 1806. A forest service sign at the Browns Creek trailhead commemorates the expedition camp at the eastern base of the peak.
The peak also serves as the name behind Colorado-headquartered oil & gas exploration and production company, Antero Resources Corporation.
- Antero Peak
- Mount Antero 
- List of Colorado mountain ranges
- List of Colorado mountain summits
- List of Colorado county high points
- "MT ANTERO". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- The elevation of Mount Antero includes an adjustment of +2.071 m (+6.79 ft) from NGVD 29 to NAVD 88.
- "Mount Antero, Colorado". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- "Mount Antero". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
San Isabel National Forest Map, United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (2003)
|Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- Mount Antero at 14ers.com
- Mount Antero at Colorado Fourteeners Initiative
- Mount Antero at Distantpeak.com
- Mount Antero at ListsofJohn.com
- Mount Antero at Peakbagger.com
- Mount Antero at Peakery.com
- Mount Antero at USDA Forest Service
- Various Photos of Mt. Antero
- Video of Mount Antero