Mount Ellis Academy
|Mount Ellis Academy|
|3641 Bozeman Trail Rd
Bozeman, Montana, United States, 59715
|School type||High school Private|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Seventh-day Adventist|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
Founded in 1902, Mt. Ellis Academy includes boys and girls dormitories, an Administration building, gymnasium, and other facilities. Mt. Ellis operates a ski area on US Forest Service land about 3 miles (4.8 km) from the school in Bear Canyon. The academy sits on a 500-acre (2.0 km2) campus.
During peak years in the 1960s, Mt. Ellis had nearly 200 students. In recent decades enrollment has trended downward and stood at about 70 students for the 2005- 2006 school year. According to a 2001 report, out of over 100 private schools in Montana, Mount Ellis was one of only ten accredited under state education standards.
Mt Ellis Academy is sponsored by the Seventh-day Adventist Church and is part of the Montana Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. It is a part of the Seventh-day Adventist education system, the world's second largest Christian school system. 
The required curriculum includes classes in the following subject areas: Religion, English, Oral Communications, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, Physical Education, Health, Computer Applications, Fine Arts, and Electives.
All students take religion classes each year that they are enrolled. These classes cover topics in biblical history and Christian and denominational doctrines. Instructors in other disciplines also begin each class period with prayer or a short devotional thought, many which encourage student input. Weekly, the entire student body gathers together in the auditorium for an hour-long chapel service. Outside the classrooms there is year-round spiritually oriented programming that relies on student involvement.
Kohl's Cares Win
In 2010, Kohl's started a Facebook contest for schools in the US to win $500,000. Mt. Ellis Academy entered this contest and came out in 10th place with 144,006 votes. After the authentication of votes process, they were in 9th place. Part of the campaign for votes was the saying, "Vote for our Sewers!" coming from the fact they planned to use the $500,000 to upgrade their 1950s era sewer system. At the Academy and in the Church, this is spoken of as a miracle.
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary and elementary schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist colleges and universities
- List of Seventh-day Adventist hospitals
- List of Seventh-day Adventist medical schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary schools
- Seventh-day Adventist education
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Seventh-day Adventist theology
- History of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- "Mount Ellis Academy". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Associated Press (February 8, 2001). "Religion keeps Bobcats player from suiting up on Fridays". Billings Gazette. Retrieved May 17, 2010.("Mount Ellis Academy, an Adventist boarding school outside Bozeman")
- Nick Gevock (April 19, 2002). "Mount Ellis Academy turns 100". Bozeman Daily Chronicle. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Heidi Wagner (January 2008). "Allaway Dining Hall Opens At Mount Ellis Academy". Gleaner (North Pacific Union Conference of Seventh Day Adventist Church). Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Michael Becker (November 11, 2007). "Mount Ellis Academy marks first phase of campus rebuilding effort". Bozeman Daily Chronicle. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Associated Press (April 13, 2001). "New private school 1 of 104 in Montana". Billings Gazette. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- Rob Chaney (August 9, 1997). "Valley attracting growing number of private schools". Bozeman Daily Chronicle. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/1115/For-real-education-reform-take-a-cue-from-the-Adventists"the second largest Christian school system in the world has been steadily outperforming the national average – across all demographics."
- "Department of Education, Seventh-day Adventist Church". Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Rogers, Wendi; Kellner, Mark A. (April 1, 2003). "World Church: A Closer Look at Higher Education". Adventist News Network. Retrieved 2010-06-19.
- (8 September 2010). Mount Ellis Academy wins $500K in 'Kohl's Cares' contest, KBZK, Retrieved November 12, 2010