Mount Hebron Cemetery (New York City)
|Location||Flushing, New York|
|Website||Mount Hebron Cemetery|
Mount Hebron is a Jewish cemetery located in the Flushing neighborhood of New York City. It was founded in 1903 as the Jewish section of Cedar Grove Cemetery. It is noted for its Yiddish theater section.
There is a large "Workmen's Circle" section in both Cedar Grove and Mount Hebron Cemetery. There are roughly 12,000 burials from Jewish and non-Jewish members of the Workmen's Circle.
There is also a large monument erected by immigrants and descendants of immigrants from the city of Grodno in what is today western Belarus. The monument is dedicated "In memoriam to our dear parents, brothers and sisters of the city of Grodno and environs who were brutally persecuted and slain by the Nazis during World War II." . This is one of several such monuments in the cemetery.
- Celia Adler (1889-1979), Yiddish theater actress
- Henrietta Jacobson Adler (1906-1988), Yiddish theater actress
- Julius Adler (1906-1994), Yiddish theater actor
- Ben Bernie (1891-1943), bandleader and radio personality
- Reizl Bozyk (1914-1993), Yiddish theater actress
- Louis Buchalter (1897-1944), Organized crime figure, boss of Murder, Inc.
- Lillian Lux Burstein (1918-2005), Yiddish theater actress
- Pesach'ke Burstein (1896-1986) Yiddish theater actor
- Sergei Dovlatov (1941-1990), writer
- Shep Fields (1910-1981), band leader
- Misha Fishzon (1884-1949)
- Selig Grossinger (d. 12/18/1931). He is the founder of the famous Catskill Jewish resort, Grossinger's. He, his wife, and several descendants are buried in a family plot here. He was part of the Balegroder Congregation burial society.
- Alan King (1927-2004), comedian
- Aaron Lebedeff, actor (died 1960)
- Raphael Lemkin (1900-1959), initiator of the Genocide Convention
- Shifra Lerer (1915-2011), Yiddish theater actress
- Menashe Oppenheim (1905-1973), Yiddish theater and film actor
- Molly Picon Kalish (1898-1992), Yiddish theater actress
- Jack Pearl (1894-1982), vaudeville performer and radio comedian
- Miriam Kressyn Rexite (1910-1996), Yiddish theater actress and singer
- Seymour Rexite (1908-2002), Yiddish theater actor and singer
- Menasha Skulnik (1892-1970), Yiddish theater actor
- Bertha Kalich Spachner (died 1939), Yiddish theater actress
- Maurice Schwartz (1891-1960), Yiddish theater actor
- Boris Thomashevsky (1866-1939), Yiddish Theater actor
- Bessie Thomashefsky (1873-1962), Yiddish theater actress
- Jeff Gottlieb, Queens Jewish Heritage Trail, Published by Queens Jewish Historical Society, Spring 2007
- "Historian Jeff Gottlieb Creates 'Jewish Heritage Trail' In Queens", by John Toscano, The Queens Gazette, May 29, 2002
- For boro, such a trail Jewish heritage map to be light & serious, by Donald Bertrand, Daily News, May 26, 2002
- Kilgannon, Corey (2011-03-15). "Yiddish Theater Bids Farewell to Shifra Lerer". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 2 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- "NYC Yiddish theater actress Shifra Lerer dies". Associated Press (Wall Street Journal). 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2011-03-20.