Mount Holly, Vermont
|Mount Holly, Vermont|
Mount Holly town office
Mount Holly, Vermont
|• Total||49.6 sq mi (128.4 km2)|
|• Land||49.2 sq mi (127.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,690 ft (515 m)|
|• Density||25/sq mi (9.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1462155|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 49.6 square miles (128 km2), of which 49.2 square miles (127 km2) is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), or 0.77%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,241 people, 494 households, and 341 families residing in the town. The population density was 25.2 people per square mile (9.7/km2). There were 917 housing units at an average density of 18.6 per square mile (7.2/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.99% White, 0.16% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.16% from other races, and 1.37% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.16% of the population.
There were 494 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.9% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 4.6% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 11.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 103.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $41,364, and the median income for a family was $44,821. Males had a median income of $31,761 versus $26,985 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,337. About 5.5% of families and 9.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.5% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Julian Cook, US Army officer during World War II
- Horatio Earle, creator of the world's first mile of concrete road
- Joseph Kinney, Jr., Wisconsin legislator, was born in Mount Holly.
- John McClure, record producer
- Hannah Teter, Olympic snowboarder
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Mount Holly town, Vermont". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- 'The Convention of 1846,' Milo Milton Qualife, Wisconsin Historical Society, Biographical Sketch of Joseph Kinney, Jr., pg. 781-782
- New York Times obituary retrieved 30 July 2014
- FIS website