Mount Jukes Mine sites
Upper Lake Jukes, and Lake Jukes had short lived mining companies incorporating the names of the lakes.
These mine sites (including Jukes Proprietary on the Northern edge of Mount Jukes above the King River Gorge) are examples of early twentieth century ingenuity where all equipment was transported with difficulty up small tracks from locations such as Crotty.
Access to parts of the slopes of Mount Jukes have been assisted by the construction of the Mount Jukes road by the HEC following their construction of the King River Dam and the impoundment of Lake Burbury.
List of mines
- From the North -
- Jukes Proprietary - Copper and Gold
- Lake Jukes - Copper - low grade
- Hydes - Copper - low grade
- Hal Jukes - Copper - low grade
- Taylours Reward - Barite
- East Darwin - Copper
- Findons - Copper
- Mount Darwin - Copper and Gold
- Prince Darwin - Copper and Gold
- Hills, Loftus & Tasmania. Dept. of Mines (1914), The Jukes-Darwin mining field Dept. of Mines, [Hobart] Geological Survey bulletin (Geological Survey of Tasmania) ; no. 16. also Twelvetrees, W.H. (1900) Report on the mineral districts of Mounts Huxley, Jukes and Darwin / W.H. Twelvetrees. Launceston :Government Geologist's Office. Tasmania. Government Geologist reports 1900-01.
- Blainey, Geoffrey (2000). The Peaks of Lyell (6th ed. ed.). Hobart: St. David's Park Publishing. ISBN 0-7246-2265-9.
- Whitham, Charles (2003). Western Tasmania - A land of riches and beauty (Reprint 2003 ed.). Queenstown: Municipality of Queenstown.
- 2003 edition - Queenstown: Municipality of Queenstown.
- 1949 edition - Hobart: Davies Brothers. OCLC 48825404; ASIN B000FMPZ80
- 1924 edition - Queenstown: Mount Lyell Tourist Association. OCLC 35070001; ASIN B0008BM4XC
- Whitham, Lindsay (2002). Railways, Mines, Pubs and People and other historical research. Sandy Bay: Tasmanian Historical Research Association. ISBN 0-909479-21-6.
- Wyman, B., Cooke, D. and Large, R. Granite Related Copper-Gold Mineralisation in the Southern Mount Read Volcanics, Western Tasmania, Australia pp.17-20 . 1997. Third International Mining Geology Conference, 10-14 November 1997 Launceston, Tasmania ISBN 1-875776-50-8