Mount Pleasant, Texas
|Mount Pleasant, Texas|
Location of Mount Pleasant, Texas
|• Total||12.7 sq mi (33.0 km2)|
|• Land||12.5 sq mi (32.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
|• Density||1,112.0/sq mi (429.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||903, 430|
|GNIS feature ID||1342094|
|Website||City of Mount Pleasant, Texas|
Mount Pleasant was founded May 11, 1848, to serve as county seat for Titus County, which was created by a legislative act on May 11, 1846. Until after the Civil War, Titus County also included present-day Franklin and Morris Counties. High waters along the creeks and the Sulphur River often halted travel in the early years.
Mount Pleasant is located at (33.157891, -94.970084).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.7 square miles (33.0 km²), of which, 12.5 square miles (32.5 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km2) is covered by water.
Mount Pleasant is considered to be part of a humid subtropical climate.
As of the census of 2000, 13,935 people, 4,558 households, and 3,208 families resided in the city. The population density was 1,112.0 people per square mile (429.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 56.70% White, 16.00% African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.84% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 23.57% from other races, and 2.33% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 40.65% of the population.
In the city, the population was distributed as 31.2% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 16.2% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 20 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,805, and for a family was $32,331. Males had a median income of $22,629 versus $17,080 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,190. About 20.3% of families and 22.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.7% of those under age 18 and 16.1% of those age 65 or over.
Mount Pleasant, Texas has grown since the 2000 Census; as of 2010, Mount Pleasant Texas had a population of 15,564.
Arts and culture
- Titus County Courthouse - located at the Downtown Square, the Courthouse is an historical part of Mount Pleasant. It has burned down three times since 1850, with the latest being in the 1960s, and all county records were destroyed in the fire.
- Downtown Square is bordered by several locally owned businesses.
- Mount Pleasant is the home to Wal-Mart's first store in Texas.
- Radar, the world's tallest living horse (2006–08), lived in Mount Pleasant (however, Goliath was recorded as the world's tallest living horse in 2005 by Guinness Book of World Records).
- Nationally Recognized Texas Main Street City
- Home to one of the largest Dr. Pepper murals in the United States, which is located on the side of what was at one time a Dr. Pepper bottler
The City of Mount Pleasant is served by the Mount Pleasant Independent School District, as well as Chapel Hill Independent School District and Harts Bluff Independent School District. Northeast Texas Community College is also located in Titus County.
- Mount Pleasant High School is a 5A school. The mascot is the Tigers.
- Chapel Hill High School is a 2A school. The mascot is the Red Devils.
A major project underway to build a 271 loop bypass around Mount Pleasant was completed in 2014.
The City of Mount Pleasant is served by Titus Regional Medical Center.
- Dr.John Marion Ellis II - Known worldwide for his distinguished research and discoveries concerning vitamin B6 and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Krista Branch - singer of the song "I am America" that has been called the anthem of the Tea Party Movement
- Barry Minter, former National Football League linebacker for the Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns, appeared in 16 games for Cleveland in 2001 before retiring back to Mount Pleasant, where he owns two dry cleaners.
- Basil Mitchell - former NFL running back for the Green Bay Packers
- Bill Ratliff - politician
- Chaun Thompson - American football player who currently plays linebacker for the Houston Texans
- Maury Buford - punter for 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl Team
- Norm Duke - PBA bowler
- Ray Price - country music singer
- Sam W. Russell - Texas legislator and lawyer
- Kendall Wright - American football player who currently plays wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "MT Pleasant Daily Tribune". Manta. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "MT Pleasant Daily Tribune". Cortera, Inc. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "The Daily Tribune". The Daily Tribune. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Post Office Location - MOUNT PLEASANT." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on May 15, 2010.
- "Parole Division Region I." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on May 15, 2010.