Mount Pleasant, Texas
|Mount Pleasant, Texas|
|— City —|
|• Total||12.7 sq mi (33.0 km2)|
|• Land||12.5 sq mi (32.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||404 ft (123 m)|
|• Density||1,112.0/sq mi (429.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||903, 430|
|GNIS feature ID||1342094|
|Website||City of Mount Pleasant, Texas|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2011)|
Mount Pleasant is the county seat and largest city of Titus County in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, Mount Pleasant's population was 15,564. It is the county seat of Titus County, and is situated in Northeast Texas.
This town, by city ordinance, is dry (unable to sell alcoholic beverages).
Mount Pleasant is located at .(33.157891, -94.970084)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.7 square miles (33.0 km²), of which, 12.5 square miles (32.5 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km2) of water.
Mount Pleasant's considered to be part of the humid subtropical area.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,935 people, 4,558 households, and 3,208 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,112.0 people per square mile (429.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 56.70% White, 16.00% African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.84% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 23.57% from other races, and 2.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 40.65% of the population.
There were 696 households out of which 21% had children under the age of 6 living with them, 36% were married couples living together, 4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.6% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.93 and the average family size was 5.55.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.2% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 16.2% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 20 years. For every 100 females there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,805, and the median income for a family was $32,331. Males had a median income of $22,629 versus $17,080 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,190. About 20.3% of families and 22.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.7% of those under age 18 and 16.1% of those age 65 or over.
Mount Pleasant, Texas has grown since the 2000 Census population. As of 2010, Mount Pleasant Texas has a population of 15,564.
Arts and culture
- Titus County Courthouse - Located at the Downtown Square, the Courthouse is an historical part of Mount Pleasant, and it has burned down 3 times since 1850 with the latest being in the 60's, and all county records were destroyed in the fire
- Downtown Square, which is bordered by several locally owned businesses.
- Mount Pleasant is the home to Wal-Mart's first store in Texas.
- Radar, the world's tallest living horse (2006–08), lived in Mount Pleasant (however, Goliath was recorded as the world's tallest living horse in 2005 by Guinness Book of World Records).
- Nationally Recognized Texas Main Street City.
- Home to one of the largest Dr. Pepper murals in the United States which is located on the side of what was at one time a Dr. Pepper bottler.
The City of Mount Pleasant is served by the Mount Pleasant Independent School District, as well as Chapel Hill Independent School District, and has just recently taken Harts Bluff Independent School District out of their district. Northeast Texas Community College is also located in Titus County.
- Mount Pleasant High School is a 4A school and is home to the Tigers.
Band is offered to students beginning in 6th grade. The high school "GOIN' GOLD" marching band has made superior ratings in UIL contest, and made State Finals in the 90s. For the 2009 season, the marching band is performing music from Moulin Rouge!, including Nature Boy, Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend, and Rhythm Of The Night. The head director is Mr. Dick Eckstine, and the assistant directors are Jim Jordan, Joe Woodson, Karen Lucket, and Sherie Sullivan.
- Chapel Hill High School is a 2A school and is home to the Red Devils.
A major project is underway to build a 271 loop bypass around Mount Pleasant.
The City of Mount Pleasant is served by Titus Regional Medical Center.
- Barry Minter - former National Football League linebacker for the Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns. Minter appeared in 16 games for Cleveland in 2001 before retiring back to Mount Pleasant were he owns 2 dry cleaners.
- Basil Mitchell - former NFL running back for the Green Bay Packers.
- Bill Ratliff - politician
- Chaun Thompson - American football player who currently plays linebacker for the Houston Texans.
- Maury Buford - punter for 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl Team. Graduated from Texas Tech.
- Norm Duke - PBA bowler
- Ray Price - Country music singer
- Krista Branch - singer of the song "I Am America" that has been called the anthem of the Tea Party movement
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "MT Pleasant Daily Tribune". Manta. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "MT Pleasant Daily Tribune". Cortera, Inc. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "The Daily Tribune". The Daily Tribune. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Post Office Location - MOUNT PLEASANT." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on May 15, 2010.
- "Parole Division Region I." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on May 15, 2010.