Mount Pleasant Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Mount Pleasant Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Jefferson County
|• Total||19.1 sq mi (49.5 km2)|
|• Land||19.1 sq mi (49.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||948 ft (289 m)|
|• Density||135.5/sq mi (52.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086380|
Mount Pleasant Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,588 people in the township, 1,503 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Smithfield Township - north
- Warren Township - east
- Pease Township, Belmont County - southeast
- Colerain Township, Belmont County - south
- Wheeling Township, Belmont County - southwest corner
- Short Creek Township, Harrison County - west
Name and history
It is the only Mount Pleasant Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.