Mount Saint Dominic Academy
|Mount Saint Dominic Academy|
|3 Ryerson Avenue
Caldwell, NJ (Essex County), 07006
|Motto||"Empowering Young Women"|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic,
|Head of school||Sr. Frances Sullivan '60, O.P.|
|Faculty||33.6 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||326  (2009-10)|
|Average class size||19|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.7:1|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue, Columbia Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Super Essex Conference|
|Mascot||Leo the Lion|
|Team name||Lady Lions|
|Accreditation(s)||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Publication||Golden Fleece (literary magazine)|
|Academic Deans||Linda Arndt
|Activities Director||Kathleen Walsh|
|Admissions Director||Pauline Condon|
|Athletic Director||Lorenzo Sozio|
Mount Saint Dominic Academy is a four-year Catholic college preparatory school for women located in Caldwell, New Jersey, United States, serving students in grades 9-12. The school was founded in 1892 by the Dominican Sisters of Caldwell. It is located within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark.
The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1934. Mount Saint Dominic Academy is a member of the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools and the Dominican Association of Secondary Schools. Sr. Frances Sullivan '60, O.P., is the Head of School. The school, whose motto is "empowering young women", has a graduation rate and a college acceptance rate of 100%. Students are accepted into and attend some of the most highly regarded colleges and universities nationwide.
The school shares a campus with Caldwell College and the Sisters of Saint Dominic that covers 21 acres (8.5 ha). Facilities include state-of-the-art science labs, athletic center, and a 400+ seat performing arts center.
Study, prayer, community, and service are the basis of religious education at Mount Saint Dominic Academy. The Siena Service Program is a four-year program that is for community service which consists of a specific amount of hours of approved in-school or outside agencies.
Mount Saint Dominic Academy provides students with a wide range of honors classes; Mathematics, Literature, Biology, Chemistry, US History, World History, Modern European History as well as Spanish and French.
SAT prep courses are part of the curriculum for Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors. Graduates from the class of 2010 were accepted into over 160 schools and they were awarded nearly $10 million in scholarships and grants.
The Mount Saint Dominic Academy Lady Lions compete in the Super Essex Conference an athletic conference of private and public high schools located in Essex County, operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). The Mount offers a variety of both Varsity and JV teams, including sports such as Basketball, Bowling, Cheerleading, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, and Volleyball. Approximately one half of the students participate in athletics.
The Mount generally fields competitive teams. The 2011 indoor track team won the NJSIAA Non-Public Relays Champions and the New Jersey Catholic Track Conference Champions and finished second by a single point to perennial powerhouse Columbia High School at the Essex County Track Championships, where The Mount team set several records. The softball team won the Super Essex Conference American Division Championships. The golf team won its third straight North Jersey Girls Golf League title.
The school's swim team won the Non-Public Group B state title in 2012, ending the season with a 13-0 record and winning conference and county titles in addition to the program's first state championship.
Mount Saint Dominic Academy offers a variety of arts courses, such as Photography, AP Studio Art, and Graphic Design; and extracurriculars such as its Art Club, Drama Club, Spring Musical.
- Donna Leon (born 1942), author of a series of crime novels set in Venice and featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti.
- Whitney Houston (1963–2012), singer.
- Data for Mount Saint Dominic Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- Moun Saint Dominic Academy, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- History and Mission, Mount Saint Dominic Academy. Accessed June 11, 2007.
- Essex County High Schools, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- School Search, New Jersey Association of Independent Schools. Accessed July 29, 2008.
- Dominican Schools, Dominican Association of Secondary Schools. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- Rao, Maya. "CRDA reconciles giving public money to private schools / State agency provided $5 million in casino investment funds to help build gym, dorm in Essex County", The Press of Atlantic City, March 2, 2008. Accessed April 23, 2012. "Both Caldwell College and Mount Saint Dominic are sponsored by the Caldwell Dominicans. Caldwell's and Mount Saint Dominic's operations are totally independent of each other, although they share an administrative building and campus."
- Fast Facts, Mount Saint Dominic Academy. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 10, 2012.
- Athletics Home, Mount Saint Dominic Academy. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Staff. "Lions impress in Essex County track", The Progress, February 4, 2011. Accessed April 23, 2012. "In the state Non-Public Relays on Jan. 15 in Toms River, the Mount took the title by totaling 40 points, while Monsignor Donovan, Notre Dame and Bishop Eustace tied for second with 34 points each."
- Allen, Jr., W.L. Bill. "Mount Saint Dominic Academy in Caldwell wins first-ever state title, completing sweep of titles", The Progress, March 2, 2012. Accessed April 23, 2012. "Powered by first place finishes in eight of the 11 events, the swim squad from Mount Saint Dominic Academy edged perennial power and defending champion Mount Saint Mary Academy of Watchung, 88-82, in the State Non-Public, Group B championship meet on Saturday afternoon, Feb. 25, at the College of New Jersey in Ewing."
- "The Senior Class of Mount Saint Dominic Academy High School Caldwell NJ 1960", US Gen Web Archives Essex County NJ schools. Accessed September 12, 2012.
- Staff. "Too Cool for School", Vibe (magazine), p. 78, June 2007. Accessed April 18, 2011. "Whitney Houston as a senior at Mount Saint Dominic Academy, Caldwell, NJ, 1981."
- Mount Saint Dominic Academy
- Data for Mount Saint Dominic Academy, National Center for Education Statistics