Mount Vernon, Missouri
|Mount Vernon, Missouri|
Location of Mount Vernon, Missouri
|• Total||3.87 sq mi (10.02 km2)|
|• Land||3.87 sq mi (10.02 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,211 ft (369 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||4,554|
|• Density||1,182.2/sq mi (456.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0722909|
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,575 people, 1,810 households, and 1,101 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,182.2 inhabitants per square mile (456.4 /km2). There were 2,013 housing units at an average density of 520.2 per square mile (200.9 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.3% White, 0.4% African American, 1.3% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.6% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
There were 1,810 households of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.5% were married couples living together, 14.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.2% were non-families. 34.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.96.
The median age in the city was 40.3 years. 24.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.1% were from 25 to 44; 23.6% were from 45 to 64; and 21.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.6% male and 51.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,017 people, 1,606 households, and 1,005 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,173.4 people per square mile (453.5/km2). There were 1,730 housing units at an average density of 505.3 per square mile (195.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.61% White, 0.67% African American, 0.92% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.55% from other races, and 0.97% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.22% of the population.
There were 1,606 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.9% were married couples living together, 12.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.4% were non-families. 33.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 23.4% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 23.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 92.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,628, and the median income for a family was $34,848. Males had a median income of $27,665 versus $20,234 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,210. About 10.5% of families and 13.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.0% of those under age 18 and 11.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Each October the annual Apple butter Makin' Days festival is held.
- The Mount Vernon High School "Lady Mountaineers" won the Missouri Class 3A girls basketball state championship in 2012.
National Register of Historic Places
The following sites in Mount Vernon are listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Eaton, David Wolfe (1916). How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named. The State Historical Society of Missouri. p. 184.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Show Me Showdown results". Missouri State High School Activities Association website. 2012-03-17. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- Historic maps of Mount Vernon in the Sanborn Maps of Missouri Collection at the University of Missouri