Mount Vernon High School (Alexandria, Virginia)
|Mount Vernon High School|
Esse Non Videri
To be, not to seem to be
|8515 Old Mount Vernon Road
Alexandria, Virginia, 22309
|School type||Public, high school|
|Founded||1939, 1974 (relocated)|
|School district||Fairfax County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Maroon and gray ██|
|Feeder schools||Walt Whitman Middle School|
|Rival schools||Edison High School
West Potomac High School
|Athletic conferences||National District
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (September 2013)|
Students with individual needs are accommodated through special education programs, including English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) program, and advanced placement and International Baccalaureate programs. Mount Vernon is an accredited high school based solely on the Standards of Learning tests in Virginia. The average SAT score in 2006 for Mount Vernon was a 1453 (487 in Critical Reading, 490 in Math, and 476 in Writing).
For the 2011-12 school year, Mount Vernon High School's student body was 34.43% Hispanic, 30.31% Black, 22.40% White, 6.24% Asian and 6.63% Other.
The Mount Vernon High School nickname is the "The Vern". This is a reference to George Washington and his "beloved" half-brother, Lawrence Washington, who both served as Adjunct of Virginia Colony. This position came with the rank of "Major" and included a distinctive red uniform. The school colors are maroon and gray.
School athletic programs feature fall, winter and spring sports, including cheerleading, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, volleyball, basketball, gymnastics, swimming, wrestling, baseball, crew, lacrosse, softball, soccer, tennis, track and intramural sports.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2013)|
- Gary Etherington, professional soccer player.
- Tony Perkins, Chief Weatherman, WTTG-TV.
- Chuck Robb, former U.S. Senator and Governor of Virginia.
- Ed Cunningham, former professional football player and currently TV sports journalist, analyst, and broadcaster.
- Christina Chambers, actress.
- Jeff Queen, a professional musician, who is a specialist in snare drums.
- Markus Rogan, a professional swimmer, earning silver medal in backstroke at the 2004 Olympics.
- Atlee Hammaker, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Syd Thrift, former MLB scout and executive, was baseball coach at Mt. Vernon 1953-1956.
- Senator Charles Robb, former U.S. Senator from Virginia.
- EmVeeHi student newspaper - http://www.emveehi.com/index.php
- MVHS Athletic Department - http://www.mountvernonsports.org
- Bohn, Michael (2005-10-17). "Keeping the Past Alive: A Brief History of the Mount Vernon District". Mount Vernon Gazette. Retrieved 2007-06-30.
- "FCPS – School Profiles – Mount Vernon HS – Demographics". Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Photo Gallery: Tony Perkins!
- Bowl Championship Series - Cunningham, Ed
- Christina Chambers
- Jeff Queen
- Markus Rogan