Mountain Lakes (NJT station)
The Mountain Lakes station facing the Denville-bound direction. The 1912-built depot (now a restaurant) is visible in the distance.
|Address||99 Midvale Road,
Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Passengers (2012)||28 (average weekday)|
Mountain Lakes (NJT station)
|Part of||Mountain Lakes Historic District|
|Added to NRHP||September 7, 2005|
Mountain Lakes Station is a New Jersey Transit station in Mountain Lakes, Morris County, New Jersey, United States, along the Montclair-Boonton Line. The first station heading eastbound not concurrent with the Morristown Line, Mountain Lakes station serves a one track main line with one low-level platform on the southbound side of the track. Mountain Lakes station is located on Midvale Road, located off of Interstate 287. The stone station building built by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad is currently a restaurant called The Station at Mountain Lakes.
Mountain Lakes station was first served by Delaware, Lackawanna and Western trains in 1869, when the freight-only Boonton Branch was constructed via Paterson to bypass the passenger Morris & Essex Railroad. In May 1912, ground was broken on a brand new station in Mountain Lakes, continuing until November, when the station was opened. The station is currently on the Morris County Inventory of Historic Sites. Mountain Lakes Train station was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 7, 2005 as part of the Mountain Lakes Historic District. The New Jersey State Historical Preservation Office added the district two months before, on July 22, 2005.
- Yanosey, Robert J. (2007). Lackawanna Railroad Facilities (In Color). Volume 2: Dover to Scranton. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books Inc.
- "Montclair-Boonton Line Timetables" (May 23, 2010 ed.). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. 2010. pp. 1–4. Retrieved September 9, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "The Station At Mountain Lakes". Mountain Lakes, New Jersey: The Station At Mountain Lakes. 2010. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- Taber III, Thomas Townsend; Taber, Thomas Townsend (1981). Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Nineteenth Century. Volume 3. Muncy, Pennsylvania: Thomas T. Taber III. ISBN 978-0-9603398-4-6.
- "Mountain Lakes Gets New Station". Christian Science Monitor (Boston, Massachusetts: Christian Science Monitor). May 16, 1912. p. 4. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- "1. Mountain Lakes Railroad Station & Esplanade". Mountain Lakes, New Jersey: Mountain Lakes, New Jersey. 2010. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- New Jersey State Historical Preservation Office (April 1, 2010). "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Morris County". New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. p. 12. Retrieved July 25, 2010.
Media related to Mountain Lakes (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons