Moura Photovoltaic Power Station
|Moura Photovoltaic Power Station|
Location of Moura Photovoltaic Power Station in Portugal
|Commission date||Phase-1: 2008
|Construction cost||€250 million|
|Site area||618 acres (250 ha)|
|Nameplate capacity||62 MW|
The Moura Photovoltaic Power Station (also known as Amareleja Photovoltaic Power Station) is a large photovoltaic power station in Amareleja, in the municipality of Moura, Portugal. It is one of the largest power stations of its kind, and is built in one of the sunniest regions in Europe. Its construction involved two stages: stage 1 was completed in 2008 after 13 months, and stage 2 was completed in 2010. The entire project topped a total cost of €250 million.
Stage 2 of the project involved the construction of a further 20 MW of solar panels. It will occupy an area of 618 acres (250 ha), and will be capable of producing 93 GWh of electrical energy annually (10 MW average - equivalent to the electricity consumption of 15,000 Europeans).
The power station has an installed capacity of 62 MWp, with more than 376,000 solar panels. Approximately 190,000 panels (32 MW) are fitted on fixed structures, and 52,000 panels (10 MW) are fixed on single-axis trackers.
A €7.6 million solar panel factory, located in Moura, was constructed by Acciona, which provided panels for Stage 2 of the station construction. Its future production will be targeted at the international market, with a capacity of producing 24 MW of solar panels annually.
- Energy policy of the European Union
- List of largest power stations in the world
- Photovoltaic power stations
- Renewable energy commercialization
- Solar power in Portugal
- Solar power in the European Union
- Making up for lost time in renewable energy, Inter Press Service, 2006-10-02. Retrieved on 2008-02-26.
- Moura (Amareleja) Photovoltaic Power Station
- "Module deal for large Portuguese system goes to China's Yingli", Photon International, December 2006. Retrieved on 2008-02-26.
- Acciona Completes 46 MW Solar Photovoltaic Installation In Portugal
- "ACCIONA puts into service the world’s biggest photovoltaic power plant in Portugal", ACCIONA Solar, S.A., December 2008. Retrieved on 2009-10-06.
- "Renewable Energy in Portugal", p.43, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, October 2007. Retrieved on 2008-02-26.
- eXeneweable Project Profile Page - Moura (Amareleja)
- Slideshow featuring photographs of the solar station
- Two QuickTime VR 360° photos
- Video, in Portuguese, showing several views from the solar station, an interview with AMPER/Acciona director and a quick look at solar panel production at the recently built factory
- June 6, 2008, The Guardian: World's biggest solar farm at centre of Portugal's ambitious energy plan