Iberian Liberation Movement
|Iberian Liberation Movement|
|Movimiento Ibérico de Liberación-Grupos Autónomos de Combate (MIL)|
The Movimiento Ibérico de Liberación (MIL) was a Catalan ultra-left armed group between 1971 and 1973, based mainly in Barcelona, Spain, and in Toulouse, France. It became famous after its dissolving because of the execution by the Francoist regime of one of its members, Salvador Puig Antich, in March 1974, and of the shooting of Oriol Solé Sugranyes during his escape in 1976. One of its French members, Jean-Marc Rouillan, later became a member of the GARI and then of the militant group Action Directe.
The MIL advocated direct action against Franco's dictatorship and capitalism, carrying out bank robberies ("expropriations"), in theory to support the working class' struggle. It was formed by members from various origins, Marxists, anarchists, etc., and supported council communism, situationism and other ultra-leftist theories which were opposed by other left-wing organized parties. The MIL published various books and leaflets prohibited in Spain, such as texts by Camillo Berneri, Antonie Pannekoek and the Situationist International.
They decided to dissolve themselves in August 1973. A month later, most of its members were imprisoned in Barcelona, while others managed to escape to Toulouse where they formed the Groupes d'action révolutionnaire internationalistes (GARI). The GARI launched a campaign in favour of their imprisoned comrades and continued armed struggle against the dictatorship.
- Aisa, Ferran et al. Salvador Puig Antich and the MIL (Moviemiento Iberico de Liberacion). London ; Berkeley : Kate Sharpley Library, 2008. ISBN 978-1-873605-44-8
- Tajuelo, Telesforo. El Movimiento Ibérico de Liberación, Salvador Puig Antich y los grupos de Acción Revolucionaria Internacionalista: teoría y práctica, 1969-1976. Paris. Ruedo Ibérico, 1977.
- Cortade, André. Le 1000: histoire désordonnée du MIL, Barcelone 1967-1974. Paris. Dérive 17, 1985.
- Téllez Solá, Antonio. El MIL y Puig Antich. Barcelona. Virus, 1994.
- Tolosa, Carlota. La torna de la torna: Salvador Puig Antich i el MIL. Barcelona. Empúries, 1999.
- Rosés Cordovilla, Sergi. El MIL: una historia política. Barcelona. Alikornio, 2002.