MOWAG Eagle IV of the German Army
|Place of origin||Switzerland|
|Used by||Germany, Denmark, Switzerland|
|Wars||War in Afghanistan (2001-present)|
|Variants||Eagle I, II, III, IV|
|Weight||4x4:7,000 kg (15,000 lb) (curb)
4x4:10,000 kg (22,000 lb) (GVM)
6x6:7,700 kg (17,000 lb) (curb)
6x6:15,000 kg (33,000 lb) (GVM)
|Length||5.37 m (211 in)
6x6: 6.9 m (270 in)
|length||3.53 m (139 in) (wheelbase)|
|Width||2.16 m (85 in)|
|Height||2.0 m (79 in)|
Ballistic level 2
Mine level 2a
|remote weapon system|
|Engine||Cummins ISBe 5.9L
184 kW (250 hp)
|Payload capacity||2,200kg (at protection level 2/2a)
|Fuel capacity||180 L (48 US gal; 40 imp gal)|
|650 km (400 mi)|
|Speed||110 km/h (68 mph)|
The MOWAG Eagle is a wheeled armored vehicle designed by the Swiss MOWAG corporation. It has gone through several generations of development. The current vehicle, introduced in November 2003, is the Eagle IV, which is based on the Duro IIIP chassis. The original MOWAG Eagle used the chassis and running gear of the American Humvee, while the Eagle II and Eagle III use the chassis and running gear of the Humvee ECV. A Prototype is now part of the Military Museum Full / Fort Reuenthal.
A modular 6x6 variant that was developed for an Australian Army tender made its market debut at Eurostatory 2012.
Eagle I, II, III
- Swiss Army - A total of 329 Eagle I and II are in use as light armored reconnaissance vehicles (Aufklärungsfahrzeug), armed with a 7.5mm Pz Mg 51/71 machine gun and fitted with thermal imaging and radio equipment. They are known respectively as Aufklärungsfahrzeug 93 and Aufklärungsfahrzeug 97. 120 Eagle III have been acquired as mobile artillery observer vehicles in 2003, with substantial improvements made to communications and surveillance equipment (yet lacking the machine gun of previous versions).
- Danish Army - 36 Eagle I, known as Spejdervogn M/95. Nowadays, the M/95 is used without the original MKB-2 turret.
- Kantonspolizei Zürich has 1 Eagle IV which is locatet at zurich airport
- Danish Army - 90 
- German Army - 495 (475 have been ordered so far + 20 vehicles as armored ambulance)
- German Federal Police - 10 vehicles.
- The German Army ordered 176 Eagle V in May 2013
Eagle IV: side view as used by the German Army
- MOWAG GmbH - News & Press Releases > Roll-out of the new EAGLE IV in Kreuzlingen[dead link]
- "Mowag Eagle - Danish Army Vehicles Homepage". Armyvehicles.dk. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Army Technology - MOWAG - Armoured Wheeled Vehicles[dead link]
- MOWAG GmbH - News & Press Releases > MOWAG EAGLE IV 4x4 vehicles for Denmark[dead link]
- "defence.professionals". defpro.com. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "Europäische Sicherheit Online!". Europaeische-sicherheit.de. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MOWAG Eagle.|