Mpanga Power Station
|Mpanga Power Station|
|Commission date||10 February 2011|
|Nameplate capacity||18 MW|
The power station is located across River Mpanga, in Kitagwenda County, Kamwenge District, approximately 25 kilometres (16 mi), by road, southwest of Kamwenge, where the district headquarters are located. This location is approximately 305 kilometres (190 mi), by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of Mpanga Power Station are:0°04'00.0"N, 30°19'16.0"E (Latitude:0.066667; Longitude:30.321112).
Mpanga Power Station is situated at the location of Mpanga Falls, on Mpanga River. The 18.0 MW power station was developed by Africa Energy Management Systems. Construction began in 2007. The completed power station came online in 2011. A new 33kV transmission line connects the power station to the national electrical grid. As of February 2011[update], construction of the power station was complete. Technical commissioning was scheduled for Thursday 10 February 2011, while the public commissioning was planned for March 2011. Construction of the power station was undertaken by a Sri Lankan hydropower construction company called VSHydro (Private) Limited, at an estimated cost of US$26 million.
Mpanga Hydro Power is owned by "EMS Africa" and all the engineering tasks including Operations and Maintenance is done by Sri Lankan Engineers. There are 32 staff (Both Ugandan and Sri Lankan) members currently employed at the site to do the day-to-day operation of the plant. Annual expected generation of the plant is 64 GWh.
- List of power stations in Uganda
- List of hydropower stations in Africa
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- Kamwenge District
- Baguma, Raymond (12 January 2009). "River Mpanga To Generate Power". New Vision via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kamwenge And Mpanga With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Mpanga With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- Byaruhanga, Achilles (21 May 2008). "Mpanga Gorge: Uganda's Ecological Gem Is Going". New Vision. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Mpanga Small Hydro Project Commissioned In Uganda". Hydroworld.com. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- Mitti, Joseph (14 February 2011). "Mpanga Hydro Power Plant Commissioned". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Website of VSHydro". VSHydro. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- Vision, Reporter (8 February 2011). "Mpanga Project Boosts Electricity Supply". New Vision. Retrieved 6 May 2014.