|Elevation||1,190 m (3,900 ft)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Mpondwe is a town in Western Uganda.
Mpondwe is located in the Rwenzori Mountains, in Kasese District, Western Uganda. The town lies at the border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Bwera is another settlement to the immediate east of Mpondwe border crossing. The Mpondwe Town Council incorporates Bwera and in this article Mpondwe refers to the combined Mpondwe-Bwera metropolitan area.
Mpondwe is located approximately 37 kilometres (23 mi), by road, southwest of Kasese, the district headquarters. This location lies approximately 390 kilometres (240 mi), by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the town are:0° 02' 24.00"N, 29° 43' 30.00"E (Latitude:0.0400; Longitude:29.7250).
Mpondwe is a busy border town in Western Uganda at its border with the DRC. In 2005, the town was the busiest border crossing between Uganda and DRC, based on volume of exports and imports. See table below:
|Rank||Border Town||Share of Exports||Share of Imports|
|5||Others||15.2 %||13.0 %|
The road from Mpondwe all the way to Kampala is all-weather tarmac. On the Congolese side of the border, the road from the border town of Kasindi to Beni is murram. From Beni, the highway continues south to Bukavu and west to Kisangani.
In 2002, the national population census estimate he population of Mpondwe at 12,050. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population of the town at 16,100. In 2011, UBOS estimated the town's mid-year population at 16,700. The national census in August 2014 put Mpondwe's population at 51,018. 
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- The offices of Uganda Revenue Authority
- Bwera Hospital - A 120 bed public Hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Mpondwe Central Market
- The offices of Mpondwe-Bwera Town Council
- The International Border Crossing between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- A branch of Equity Bank Uganda - Located in Downtown Bwera
- A branch of Stanbic Bank Uganda - Located in Downtown Bwera
- Dr. Crispus Kiyonga - Physician and politician. Current Minister of Defence in the Cabinet of Uganda. He was born here and he maintains a home in the area. He also serves as the elected Member of Parliament for this constituency.
- Photo of A Woman in the Rwenzori Mountains
- Photo of A Woman in Mpondwe-Bwera Uganda
- Photo of Mother and Child in Mpondwe-Bwera Uganda
- Photo of A Man in the Rwenzori Mountains
- UBOS, . (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kasese And Mpondwe With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Mpondwe With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Mpondwe At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Muwanga, David (10 August 2006). "Busia Leads In Border Trade". New Vision. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Mpondwe In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- POU, . (2011). "Profile of Kiyonga Chrispus Walter Barrabusa, Member of Parliament for Bukonjo County West, Kasese District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Location of The Border Town of Mpondwe, Uganda At Google Maps
- Location of Downtown Bwera At Google Maps