||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (October 2009)|
This record is a parody of the 1975 summer blockbuster film Jaws, with Goodman interviewing the shark (whom he calls "Mr. Jaws"), as well as the film's main characters, Brody, Hooper, and Quint. Goodman makes full use of his practice of "break-in" music sampling, in which all of the interview answers are lyrics from popular songs from that year.
Goodman would later make more parodies of Hollywood films, along with his political satire records. The B-side of this single was "Irv's Theme".
The name of the song's label, Cash Records, was another idea from Goodman after he was asked whom the record company should make the check out to.
The recording took place at Sear Sound in New York engineered by Russ Hamm. Originally the songs were sampled, however when the record became a hit, the songs were replaced by sound-alike recordings.
The songs that were sampled are:
- Main Title (Theme From 'Jaws') by John Williams
- Dynomite by Bazuka
- Please Mr. Please by Olivia Newton-John
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You) by James Taylor
- Why Can't We Be Friends by War
- Get Down Tonight by KC and the Sunshine Band
- The Hustle by Van McCoy & the Soul City Symphony
- Love Will Keep Us Together by Captain & Tennille
- Rhinestone Cowboy by Glen Campbell
- One Of These Nights by Eagles
- Jive Talkin' by Bee Gees
- I'm Not in Love by 10cc
- Midnight Blue by Melissa Manchester
On the album version of "Mr. Jaws", both "Please Mr. Please" and "Rhinestone Cowboy" were replaced by re-recorded budget sound-alike renditions.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8th ed.). New York: Billboard Books. p. 260. ISBN 0-8230-7499-4. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- "Pink Floyd Has the Top Album". The Pittsburgh Press. 1975-10-05. p. H-6. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- "Disc Jockey Special". The Daily News (Charlotte Amalie, V.I.). 1975-10-11. p. 21. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
|This 1970s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|