Mr. Troop Mom
|Mr. Troop Mom|
|Distributed by||Warner Premiere|
|Directed by||William Dear|
|Produced by||Frank Pace|
|Written by||Thomas Ian Griffith|
Pyper de Marsh
|Music by||David Kitay|
|Editing by||Chris Conlee|
|Running time||84 minutes|
Mr. Troop Mom is an American 2009 comedy television film directed by William Dear, written by Thomas Ian Griffith and starring George Lopez, Daniela Bobadilla, April Telek, Julia Anderson, Elizabeth Thai, Geoff Gustafson, and Jane Lynch. It tells of Eddie Serrano (Lopez), a widower, and his teenage daughter Naomi. Eddie joins Naomi and her friends on a camping trip, making Eddie the "Team Mom".
Eddie Serrano (George Lopez) is a widower with a teenage daughter Naomi (Daniela Bobadilla). A classic workaholic, Eddie has not been there for most of Naomi's big moments. Naomi doesn't appreciate it and is always upset because her father embarrasses Naomi in front of her friends. (for example when in the beginning of the film, he shouted out to Naomi, "Have a good day baby, I love you snuggle bear.") Initially, Eddie never expected the original "Team Mom" would go into labor so early.
Subsequently Eddie substitutes her place for being "Team Mom" for the "Killer Bees", which is Naomi's team in the Spring Action Classic at Camp Hulka's Rock. His business sort-of way of doing things doesn't qualify the standards for his job as the leader for her daughter's team, which doesn't please the camp's director Ms. Hulka (Jane Lynch).
Eventually Eddie begins to learn how to lighten up and go with the flow a little bit more that helps him succeed, not only with his daughter, but also the standards he needs to do to be part of the team. At the end, The Naked Brothers Band perform a concert with their song "If You Can Make It Through The Rain", followed by a fireworks display.
- George Lopez as Eddie Serrano, a widower and public defender. He is always there for his daughter, but always embarrasses her in front of her peers.
- Daniela Bobadilla as Naomi Serrano, a thirteen-year-old girl and Eddie's daughter. She is not accepting of what her father has done for her, and therefore, doesn't have a good relationship with her dad, and doesn't notice that he does his very best to get closer with her.
- Jane Lynch as Ms. Hulka
- Julia Anderson as C.C. Turner
- Laine MacNeil as Kayla
- April Telek as Denise
- Elizabeth Thai as Catalina
- Geoff Gustafson as Harry
- Jessica McLeod as Paulina
- Pyper de Marsh as Sam
- Jianna Ballard as Skyler
- Mayan Lopez as Yvette
The film features a cameo appearance by the musical duo, Nat & Alex Wolff, who portrayed themselves.
Though most of the reviews from the critics were mixed, with a critic citing it as "utterly and completely predictable - and charming", the television movie fared well in the ratings, garnering 4 million total viewers on its first airing, and was the number one original basic cable program that night.
- "Mr. Troop Mom - A Brand New Movie!". Nick@Nite. Retrieved 2009-05-25.[dead link]
- "Lopez Goes to Camp for Nick". TVWeek. Retrieved 2009-05-22.
- "Warner, Nickelodeon Bring 'Mr. Troop Mom' to Blu-ray". High-Def Digest. Retrieved 2009-05-22.
- Hinckley, David (2009-06-19). "'Mr. Troop Mom' utterly and completely predictable - and charming". New York: Daily News. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- "Nickelodeon's Mr. Troop Mom Starring George Lopez Ranks as Basic Cable's Number-One Original TV Program on Friday Night With 4 Million Total Viewers; Tops Cable With Kids, Tweens". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- "NICKELODEON’S MR. TROOP MOM STARRING GEORGE LOPEZ RANKS AS BASIC CABLE’S NUMBER-ONE ORIGINAL TV PROGRAM". NickPress.com. Retrieved 2009-06-27.[dead link]