Mount Elgon District
Geography and demographics
Although Kapsokwony is the headquarters of the district, Cheptais is probably the economic heart of the district, as it contributes a great deal to the economy of the district.
The district has only one local authority: Mount Elgon county council.
|* 1999 census. Sources: , ,|
The district has one constituency: Mt. Elgon Constituency.
In the 1970s, some 600 Mosop families who lived in the forests around Mount Elgon were resettled in Chebyuk to make way for a game reserve. They were soon joined by the Soy people; in the land allocations which followed the resettlement, the Mosop were given some 65 percent of the land, while the Soy were given the remaining 35 percent. Over the decades, other ethnicities moved into the Chebyuk settlement, which complicated the land situation.
A violent conflict began in December 2006 in the district between the Soy and Mosop subethnicities of the Sabaot ethnic group over allegations of unfair land allocation. The Sabaot Land Defense Force was formed, which led to a number of killings in the region. As of late 2007, some 150 people had died in the conflict, while over 45,000 people have been displaced from their homes in the Mount Elgon region to other towns such as Kitale, Chepkitale and Kimilili. (see Mount Elgon insurgency)