|Il-Kunsill Lokali tal-Imtarfa|
Mtarfa from the air
|Borders||Attard, Mdina, Rabat|
|• Mayor||Daniel Attard (PL)|
|• Total||0.7 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|Population (March 2013)|
|• Density||3,700/km2 (9,500/sq mi)|
|Demonym||Mtarfi (m), Mtarfija (f), Mtarfin (pl)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Lucy|
|Day of festa||13 December|
|Bus 51 from Valletta terminus|
- Military barracks were built in 1890.
- A naval hospital (RNH Mtarfa) for injured persons was built during World War I. This has now been converted to a state secondary school, named after Sir Temi Zammit.
- A chapel dedicated to St. Oswald[disambiguation needed] was built by the British, during their occupation of the island.
- One of the most famous landmarks of Mtarfa is the clock, built in 1895.
Politics and Administration
In April 2008, due to failure on the part of the council to meet at least once a month as required by the Local Council Act, the Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi recommended to the President of the Republic to dissolve the local council and to set up a temporary committee to administer the affairs of the locality. The Mtarfa local council had failed to meet since November of the previous year allegedly over disagreements on the appointment of the council's Executive Secretary.
Mtarfa Local Council
The current Mtarfa local council members are:
- Daniel Attard (PL)
- Mifsud Anthony k/a Anton (PN)
- Fenech Simon Paul (PN)
- Vella Antoine (PL)
- Bugeja Anthony k/a Twanny (PL)
Mtarfa has its own football club Mtarfa F.C. Founded in 2006, the club took part in the Maltese Third Division for the first time in their history in the 07/08 season. They have entered the Malta Football Association in lieu of Ta' Xbiex F.C., who lost their status due to their consistent poor results in the lowest of Maltese divisions.
Zones in Mtarfa
- Ġnien Ħira
- Santa Luċija
- Ta' Sagħat
- Ta' Slampa
- Ta' l-Għeriexem
- Wied il-Qlejgħa
RNH Mtarfa Triq Dar il- Kaptan
- Estimated Population by Locality 31st March, 2013. Malta Government Gazette 19,094. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- timesofmalta.com - Temporary committee to take over at Mtarfa