muCommander is a lighweight, cross-platform file manager that will run on any operating system supporting Java. It features a Norton Commander style, dual-pane interface to allow easy manipulation of files with many keyboard shortcuts. Pre-compiled builds are available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenVMS, and the software can be run from the Internet via Java Web Start.
In 2009, muCommmander was recognized as one of the best file managers on Linux. In 2010, it ranked 76th on the best free software list of PCMag.
- Copy, move, rename and batch rename, email files
- Works on local file volumes, FTP, SFTP, SMB, NFS, HTTP, Amazon S3, Hadoop HDF5 and Bonjour
- Supports ZIP, RAR, 7z, TAR, Gzip, BZip2, ISO/NRG, AR/Deb and LST archives
- ZIP file modification on the fly
- File splitting and combining
- Change permissions and date of files
- Calculate files checksums in MD5, CRC32, SHA, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512, Adler32, MD2
- Full keyboard access